Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My three year female rottweiler has never shown any aggression until this year. She has always been very sweet, submissive and patient with my children but is starting to shown intolerance and aggression. She has bit my daughter on the arm but did not break the skin (we thought that she was just playing). Then she bit my husband's food pretty hard when he tried to get her to move by nudging her. We are in love with her but do not want to risk this with our children. She is going into heat and I wonder if she is just "moody" or don't feel well. What do you think?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It could be that she is just sore or moody. I would watch her though, were any of her toys or chew toys around?? My rott who is also three has been very protective around his chewys. He has never bit anyone but he growls sometimes when he has his bone and doesn't want you by it. I would never leave any dog unattended with any child only because children don't mean to do something but dogs do react to stuff and you never truly now dogs. If they feel endangered or threatened in any way they will react.Edited by: chartre

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
This is not something you should allow a Rottweiler to do.It should never Growl or try to bite you or yours.

Do not risk your childrens safty.If theis any training around you get her there she needs to be reminded you are in charge.

If it were my dog (and I have done this to my own dogs) she would not be around.She has bitten twice,there is something wrong.Most likley it would be lack of respect.She does not view you and yours as dominent.

Are you going to wait till one of your children gets bit badly.I love my dogs to death,but will not have a dog around that is a safty risk.What is the dog bites someone besides a family member is your dog worth millions that you could be sued?

I know this is not what you want to hear,but she has bitten twice.

DonnaEdited by: rutylr

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree she could be moody as you said ummm have you tried consulting with a trainer to see if it is anything else that you could do to assist you at home. My rottie of 10 months would become very aggressive with his vet but he would never be aggressive to the kids or myself even though he is a puppy so I found him a new vet and I took him to a trainer and I am glad that I did we realized that the vet was not a good doctor and I should have realize that so the trainer showed me how to reintroduce the atmosphere to my rotti and now he is like prince charming he still a pup but it's still a few things that I would like to take care of but just keep an eye on your children

take care and I hope things work out for you

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Why is your female not spayed?

Try training but is that does not work do not give this dog to anyone.She has a history of biting andif she ever bited anyone you will be liable.

Donna

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Wow - this is my first post so I hope that I don't offend anyone but here goes - a dog that repeatedly growls and has bitten is dangerous. There is just no maybe about it and it is only a matter of time before someone is hurt. This dog is missing something very important - bite inhibition.

You should immediately contact a professional trainer in your area. If you are not sure how to locate one - contact your vet or humane society. In NO INSTANCE should this dog be left alone with a child.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I have a friend who has a Boston Terrier it has bitten at least 4 people.He was going to give it to a rescue,but they said they would just put it down,so now he is looking to give this dog away.He doesn't think that the dog should be put down.Talking to him about this problem is like hitting a brick wall.This dog needs to be put down,there is something wrong with this dog.

What is the next person this dog bites is a child?

Donna

·
Registered
68 Posts
well i wouldnt give up on your dog just yet you should strongly look into a dog trainer to work with both you and your kids have your kids train the dog as well as you so it learns that it must listen to you and your family.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Always supervize children and dogs.Never leave big dogs and children alone.

A family in WI let all their Rottweilers run loose in the house when they were not home,their daughter came home one day with a friend(10 year old girl)and the dogs killed her.I was supose to go to court over this to talk about the breed and say the parents were at fault for leaving all the dogs loose(should be crated when not at home).Small children are just like prey to big dogs(they move fast and make high pitched nosies.Dogs don't know the difference between playing and being hurt.

Donna

·
Registered
914 Posts
Donna is absolutely correct on this point and I can't say it enough NEVER leave your rott unsupervised around children especially smaller ones. Bad things happen even with the best of intentions. That goes for other breeds as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been reading through the posts about biting dogs on here. I knew that rotts were considered "vicious" dogs, you hear horror stories all the time. I recently got my rotty, and she had some aggression probs at first, but is doing much better now. I also took the advice that several of you have posted on here and purchased her a crate. Now when I am not going to be home when the kids get here, if I dont take her with me, she is put in her crate. I also crate her when the kids will be here and I am gone to work. Thank you so much for all the advice you guys give on here. I have had 1 other rotty and he was never aggressive, a huge baby, but Emma was different. I am so glad I found this site for all the dog questions I have had. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hbrooks said:
My three year female rottweiler has never shown any aggression until this year. She has always been very sweet, submissive and patient with my children but is starting to shown intolerance and aggression. She has bit my daughter on the arm but did not break the skin (we thought that she was just playing). Then she bit my husband's food pretty hard when he tried to get her to move by nudging her. We are in love with her but do not want to risk this with our children. She is going into heat and I wonder if she is just "moody" or don't feel well. What do you think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.