Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
What's your daily crate routine for your 6 to 24 months old dog? All of the post about crate training seem to only discuss training schedule for young puppies.
Baby gates are not an option to us as our main floor (where the dog will be) is an open space so crate is the only option to have some management and control if the dog is not supervised.

So if you crate your 6 to 24 months old dog, I would love to know your daily crate schedule/routine. How long does he/she stay in it and what do you with your dog if not crated.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
I've always crate trained all of my pups and even rescue dogs....till they were ready to venture free in the house. With some pups it takes longer ,and some are quicker to not need the use of the crate. Start with short...coming and goings and make sure to puppy proof the area you plan on leaving them in. You can always put a baby gate in a laundry room or bathroom or even in a hallway. It's a matter of learning and the dog maturing. Make sure your pup is well exercised and has had a chance to pee/poop before trying to leave them even for a short time. Usually by 12 -18 months mine were crate free. No use having a protective dog if he has to spend a lot of time crated.

I want their presence known. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always crate trained all of my pups and even rescue dogs....till they were ready to venture free in the house. With some pups it takes longer ,and some are quicker to not need the use of the crate. Start with short...coming and goings and make sure to puppy proof the area you plan on leaving them in. You can always put a baby gate in a laundry room or bathroom or even in a hallway. It's a matter of learning and the dog maturing. Make sure your pup is well exercised and has had a chance to pee/poop before trying to leave them even for a short time. Usually by 12 -18 months mine were crate free. No use having a protective dog if he has to spend a lot of time crated.

I want their presence known. :)
Thanks, BBD. My question was about the exact daily hours the dog, of age 6months-12 months, spends in the crate. For example, I heard some folks crate their dogs (again age between 6-12 months) as following:
7am-8am: Breakfast and walk:
8am-12pm: Crate:
12pm-1pm: Potty, walk, and play:
1pm-5pm: Crate
6pm-9pm: Walk, play, and dinner
9pm-7am: crate

Is that appropriate?

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
That's an awful lot of time in a crate!! The older they get they need more exercise...and more time out of the crate they need. The schedule you presented, the poor dog is only out of the crate for 5 hours per day :confused: ...that means the pup is crated for 19 hours per day. I would have the dog tethered to me and out of the crate for more free time, and I would get up earlier and do more with the dog in the morning. I would set up a baby gate and have the pup at least in a one safe room so there is more freedom. If everyone is out of the house during the day....I would have a dog walker come in twice per day when the dog has to be crated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our 6 month old female Penny
Gets up with me at 4:30
Treat training basics with me while I have coffee
Walk at sunrise around 30 minutes with me and our older Sheppard off leash (16 acres wooded, fenced)
Wife up at 7, me off to work, doggie yoga with wife on the deck.
Penny in the crate at 8:45.
I get home at 4. Dogs pee and poop then a big meal. They kick back for an hour while I cook dinner.
Wife home at 5, long walk with dog, she does leash/heel work.
After dinner is my walk with them followed by fetch and tug until dark.
We stopped crating her at night at 4 1/2 months so far no accidents.
She has been a remarkable girl. Even though way to much crate time from 7 to 14 weeks she has slept all night from day one and has never messed in her crate.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, BBD. My question was about the exact daily hours the dog, of age 6months-12 months, spends in the crate. For example, I heard some folks crate their dogs (again age between 6-12 months) as following: 7am-8am: Breakfast and walk: 8am-12pm: Crate: 12pm-1pm: Potty, walk, and play: 1pm-5pm: Crate 6pm-9pm: Walk, play, and dinner 9pm-7am: crate Is that appropriate?
That’s a lot of crate time. How much training and or interaction do you have with your dog?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts