Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
What's your daily crate routine for your 6 to 24 months old dog? All of the post about crate training seem to only discuss training schedule for young puppies.
Baby gates are not an option to us as our main floor (where the dog will be) is an open space so crate is the only option to have some management and control if the dog is not supervised.

So if you crate your 6 to 24 months old dog, I would love to know your daily crate schedule/routine. How long does he/she stay in it and what do you with your dog if not crated.

Thanks!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always crate trained all of my pups and even rescue dogs....till they were ready to venture free in the house. With some pups it takes longer ,and some are quicker to not need the use of the crate. Start with short...coming and goings and make sure to puppy proof the area you plan on leaving them in. You can always put a baby gate in a laundry room or bathroom or even in a hallway. It's a matter of learning and the dog maturing. Make sure your pup is well exercised and has had a chance to pee/poop before trying to leave them even for a short time. Usually by 12 -18 months mine were crate free. No use having a protective dog if he has to spend a lot of time crated.

I want their presence known. :)
Thanks, BBD. My question was about the exact daily hours the dog, of age 6months-12 months, spends in the crate. For example, I heard some folks crate their dogs (again age between 6-12 months) as following:
7am-8am: Breakfast and walk:
8am-12pm: Crate:
12pm-1pm: Potty, walk, and play:
1pm-5pm: Crate
6pm-9pm: Walk, play, and dinner
9pm-7am: crate

Is that appropriate?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts