Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok who's for it ?

I never used a crate with either one of my MALE Rottweilers .....

But this lil Female is all over the place ...... I rescued her aswell

and dont want to trumatize her by stuffing her in a cage all the time ...

BUT if things dont straiten out I may have no choise .....

If you use a crate when there young can you take it away later ?

Just seems like jail to me ...... But if you dont want to play by

the rules ??????

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Most people will tell you to crate train and I have a crate. But Apollo doesnt use it
I gave up after he repeatedly would go as soon as i put him in the crate, and it really seemed to freak him out. So I have a baby gate across the kitchen and that is where he stays when I cant watch him...It works for him and doesnt upset him so that is what I do now. He seems more relaxed in a bigger space and will lay down or play with his toys. He will go sit by the door when he has to go out now so he is doing really well. He only slips up once in a while, and usually its if we have company and he is distracted.I think you have to find what is right for your baby. If they do well in the crate, I dont think its cruel at all. But if they are having problems then like in Apollo's case, you may find an alternative that will work well.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
914 Posts
yep what she says! I have Bud who has never seen the inside of a crate and Diamond who was crate trained from the time we got and prolly before cause she knew what it was and we had no problems with her in one! So they are all different!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Dan , I have crated forever .....my kids love their crate , they think of it as their own space they take their naps in them and I don't put them in there they go all by them selfs ! The only one who has never been crated is Zeus , his owners before him did not crate and when I got him at 6 yrs old he was to old to go there ....and he won't eitherbelieve me I have tried ...
he says nope not going there ...
I have two crates only because I don't have room for three or I wiuld have three .....( my crates are in my dining room ) Kitty still goes in the crates to nap and ifthe pupsare inthem she will look at me like hey !!! It's to funny .... All I say to the kids when I want them to crateis (crate up) and in they go ....sometimes I have all three in two crates ...then I have to tell Kitty to come back out which does not like to much at all ....

My hubby was against crating at first... he said the same thing as you( ThatsJail !) but if you ask him now he will tell you it's the way to go ! You need to start them out slow 10 mins at a time praise , a treat , several times a day , then up the time as you go , put her toys in there make it not a scary place to be but a safe place she wants to be .....there are alot of books out that will help you and will go into more detail ..... I tell every new owner of a pup crating is the way to go !!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I crate trained my Maximus when he wasa pup and hedidgood. He does not like getting dirty or step on his stuff so he had no choice but to wait on me to take him out hehe.... I am not sure about all dogs I am sure some are different. Goodluck.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Crates are the way to go.I start all my puppies at 6 weeks to sleep in crates so when they go home they are already use to it.

I would buy a crate and use just the bottom at first.Feed her in the bottom. have her bed in the bottom.Do that for a while and when she is use to it put the top on,but not the door.Slowly,don't rush the whole thing baby steps.

Mine sleep in them when ever they want to be alone.EWach knows where their own crate is.and get mad when someone else is in theirs.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Donna , mine know their own crates too ! Rhea uses Kitty's old crate when she can get in there .....it's funny how they know whos whos .....they are smart aren't they !

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I used to have a cocker/lab mix that used a crate, and didnt have a problem with it, but Apollo always seemed to get freaked out by it and didnt do well with it. So I guess it all depends on the dog. Apollo is the type of dog who doesnt like to be separated from you, and seems worried if you have to leave to go to the bathroom LOL. He definitely thrives on attention and is happiest leaning up against you. Whats with the leaning anyway? I've never had a dog do that. He comes right up to you and will just lean his whole body against you. If I moved he'd probably fall over LOL
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's part of their natural instincts comes from being bred to be herders!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Miss Scarlet , I think are Apollo's must be twins ..
he is the same way where I go he goes .....always under foot , and such a lover gessssssh ......if you call one of the other's he's there first .....pet me! pet me! All my rotts lean on you try having 4 at one time doing it ! I think it counter acts the falling down though ......

·
Registered
387 Posts
Blu has never been in a crate. and I'm thinking this is not something I want to try with him. We are working to get him in the house. He finds everything so entense, he does not know what to do or where to go. He knows where the mirrows are in the house and trys to get to the big silly dog. He barks and growls at himself. It is really to funny.

Dallas would do almost anything I asked of her. But sleeping in a crate is not one of them. She has her bed beside mine and she knows thats where she stays till mom gets up.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Dan , are you going to crate ? well give it up ! are you ? huh huhare you ?

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NOT my Boy ..... he is too old anyhow ...... But my step dads pup yeah she is getting a crate this weekend ....

My boy will prolly stay in it when she is out of it cause he thinks everything is his ......

but if i shut the door on it ..... he gonna cry like a big baby ......
i know cause he whines if i leave the dam room ......

I have created a monster ....

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Well join the club !!! My Kitty is a spoiled brat !!!
but she's coming along now with the other 3 .....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Our pup was crate trained when we got her and we have continued to use it. At 1 1/2 years old she is still not totally trustworthy on her own when we are not home.
She actually loves it and at night when she is tired and has decided we are up too late she just picks herself up, walks into her crate and crashes. Too funny.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Zeus is crate trained and loves his crate very much. Sometimes he will pull the door closed on it. He has been in it since night one. I never had a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
k i have had my puppy for only a week now. i have been introducing the crate to her. feeding her in it, having treats in it, keeping her there for varied time amounts. starting out with just 10 to 15 min with me being there to a more extended period of time. the problem that arised is that she got a urinary tract infection, so she was peeing and other stuff so much. more then i could even imagine taking her out for. i would take her outside, she would go, then put her in the crate and 10 min later go again, then again. she has defecated in her crate 2 or 3 times. she doesnt seem to like to do so, but doesnt seem to mind too much either. the whole infection thing has really screwed the crate/housetraining up. should i just continue with the crate and hopefully the meds will help with the infection and she will learn, or try another technique? there are times when i feel like she waits to get into the crate to pee/poop. just really lost and not sure if wee-wee pads or some other way it better. the crate is a necessity, but i cant have her poopin and peeing in it every day/night either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.