Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rosco is about 8 1/2 months now, and is super excited when he sees people or even my boyfriend and I. He's been jumping like crazy and is knocking even me over! I've tried the air pressure gun, worked for a minute, not so much after that. I try puttin a knee out, doesnt really bother him the slightest bit, still attempts to put two paws up on my kitchen counter. Any ideas as to how I can get him to calm down? Im afraid to answer my own door, or let any guests come in my house, its not that he's scary he just jumps and wants to love you all over! lol. I appreciate the ideas!:(

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hmmmm. I'm thinking he didn't just start this jumping at 8 1/2 months, but has probably been doing this for awhile. Not as easy to correct when they get older as it is when they are younger. I'm assuming that Rosco knows his basic commands like sit, stay, down, come, etc. If so, then I would have him on a leash and put him on a down or a sit. I would only pet him when he is sitting or if he is lying down. If he breaks the command and tries to jump, I would tell him NO in a loud deep voice and not touch him, but give him a correction and make him sit/down again. If he sits/down then pet, if not, then ignore.

Never come in the house and immediately greet Rosco, especially if he is jumping all over and generally acting like a fool. He needs to know that the only time he will get petted or touched is when he is calm: sitting, lying down, standing quietly, etc., after you have given him a command. If you are consistent with this he will soon learn that jumping will not get him attention. You cannot touch him at all when he is jumping as this is negative reinforcement, in other words, he is still getting what he wants, which is your attention and your touching/petting him. When he is calm around you, you can then try this will your boyfriend too. Again, your boyfriend cannot touch or pet him unless he is calm. Tell him to sit and if he obeys, have your boyfriend pet him, if he breaks the command, hands are off and tell him NO and continue what you did with just you. When petting Rosco, remember to stroke him, not pat him, as patting ramps the dog up, whereas stroking is more soothing and calming. Remember to reinforce the correct behavior with touching and be consistent . . ALWAYS. If things are going well, you can invite some friends over and explain beforehand that you are working on getting Rosco to not jump up on people and explain the rules for petting him.

He is still a puppy and has lots of energy, but he still should have good manners, both in the house and outside the house. Remember that he is still going to get a lot bigger, so it is better to nip this behavior in the bud now while he is still young. Another way of correction this behavior is to crate him when he starts jumping. Leave him in the crate for about 10-15 min. and let him out and give the sit command, again he only gets touched/petted when he is calm, hands are off as soon as he breaks the command, or starts jumping.

Jumping is a learned behavior that is reinforced every time you touch/pet him and the only way to break him of this behavior is to be consistent, and NEVER touch/pet him unless he is calm. Remember that this did not happen overnight, and it will not be fixed overnight, but if you are consistent and patient he will soon learn the correct behavior and you will have an awesome boy with wonderful house manners and your friends and boyfriend will be impressed!;)

Good luck to you and Rosco!:p

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Training...how much training have you done with him? have you taken him to classes and discussed this problem with the instructor? If not, find a class and work with him every day.

The dog needs to learn that 'four on the floor' gets him what he wants. When he jumps on you, say NOTHING but walk INTO HIM - walk into his space, calmly, arms crossed, say nothing. If you back up, you invite him to jump again - giving him more space to 'invade'.

Keep him on leash at all times if he's wound up, and when people come to the house, put him on a leash and tell people to ignore the puppy 100% until he is calm, and if the dog cannot calm down, put him in a crate.

Calm and well behaved will get the dog all the attention in the world - but jumping and being rude will get you ignored.

I don't see a jumping dog as excited, I see it as rude. My dogs get plenty excited when new people come over, but they don't jump. Even when younger, then didn't jump, because early on, I trained them to remain standing or sitting in order for people to pet them.

If worried about people coming to the house, LEASH THE DOG before opening the door, and don't open the door until you've got the dog under control!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Like Anne, said training is a must! It's a life long deal. At a young age with my Rotts when someone would come to the door I would also make them sit. If they would try to come and greet someone I would body block them and put them back in a sit. I also told anyone that came to the door to walk in and say nothing. I also unstilled a 5 min rule for company. Say nothing to them before long my dogs would go and lay down. Then and only then my company could call over the dogs 1 by 1.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nalance, just remember to take it slow and work on one thing at a time. Get your jumping problem taken care of and then work on greeting guests. Before long you will have a well behaved youngster that you can be proud of and company will be impressed with! :cool:

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Do you have a entrance where you can put up a gate that has a door in the gate? Like a circle gate of sorts? That way your guests can come in and not get jumped on. I agree with Anne, have a lead at the door so you can hook him up once you let your guests come in. He is still a puppy.....he won't be full grown until he's at least 2 ish.You surly don't want him jumping on you then....YIKES On your other topic I have a girl Rhea, that loves to counter surf and get in the garbage.....well she used to....I got a air horn then set her up.....when she got on the counter I would say NO then give the air horn a toot. Same with the garbage. It worked after a few times. Then I had a issue with the beagles next door....god can they bark at everything. I have a huge dogie door so when the beagles would go off my 3 would go out and bark back. I felt it was my problem to fix it. Thats when I bought the air horns. I would go out and say no and give a toot. With in a few days they only needed to see the air horn in my hand....no tooting...no barking! I also asked my neighbor if I could train her beagles to stop barking....she said please! Now they only bark when the come home or are being fed.

Reactions: regens_mom

·
Registered
824 Posts
Duke did the same stuff at that age, he's now around 14months?? (wife keeps track, not me..lol) Anyway, he doesn't put paws on counters anymore but, he does get excited and hop around jumping and making circles but, doesn't touch anyone while doing it anymore. I just stand there till he realizes that's not getting him anywhere and he then goes into a down position. It takes him less time to chill out and behave everyday it seems.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i'm going to deviate from the norm a little and mention that i only started getting results with my dog when i did start to become angry at her for doing it. i would yell at her, with maybe a 50%-60%-power yell and only then did she start to figure out that it was wrong. the command in my case was "NO JUMPING!"

she still wants to do it to some other people at certain times (less as time passes). i agree with rottie mom in that i also believe it is a form of being rude. "if you're not going to give me the attention and respect that i think i deserve then i am going to jump up on you and force you to cater to me..."

...and of course it is our responsibilty as owners to be vigilant against this because if we rely on others to discipline the dog for doing it then we risk having the dog experience an aggressive reaction to someone else correcting him/her. this actually happened twice with mocha. once was when a stranger on the street who seemed a little "off" was talking to (me and was being nice to the dog) tried to discipline her by lighty smaking her muzzle. not a good move for rotties. i pulled her back quick though before she could get at him. to his credit, he wasn't phased at all. i'm not sure if he was playing with a full deck of cards though, which is why i "forgave" him for trying to smack my dog.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Capp, that guy had to be off his rocker! Even lightly smacking at a Rottie that has a muzzle on is down right crazy! Yikes One time a couple came over are house and the GF was a bit tippsey. First off she sat on my living room floor which I told her not to do....then she began grabbing my Apollo, around his neck hugging him. He started to grumble. He never liked being held around his neck and I knew it. I told her to get up off the floor and stop what she was doing before she got bit! Her reply was he won't bite me.....OK So I had to put everyone in their crates before she got bit. Then I ask them to leave. If you don't have respect for my dogs you don't need to come to my home.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
true, maybe it was the booze.

btw, i maybe wasn't clear in my story but mocha was not muzzled. i just meant that he smacked at her nose. she instantly became angry and tried to bite him. she was offended or something...

·
Registered
677 Posts
what i do is ignore when i see them, and when i leave, when you come into the house, dont look at the dog, or make eye contact, ignore him until he has calmed down, make coffee, or tea, i call it the 5 minute rule, but some dogs take longer to calm down, i love the training methods of Jan Fennell, she is great!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We used Meia's willingness to jump as a time to teach a new skill... "Paws Up/Paws Down." This skill became so Handy in therapy work because she could Paws UP to reach nursing home patients in their beds or chairs...First we wanted Meia to know that indicriminate jumping was unacceptable, so we used the "Knee/Step" Method (Knee to the chest and step into her.) We would say "Paws Down" to teach her we had control of her paws on us. As soon as she was down and calm, we would immediately say "Paws Up" giving her permission to hug us. Then we would say "Paws Down." We used this method for a week and in no time she stopped jumping and had a new skill. We just took what she already knew and made it functional...NOW SHE NEVER Jumps on ANYONE and when someone else says paw up to her she "Checks-In" First to see if it is really ok to give them a "hug."

By teaching Meia that Jumping IS OK and that is HAS A PURPOSE, we kept a skill but molded the behavior. We never taught her that "Jumping" was bad, just that jumping without permission was bad. Meia has to get permission for EVERYTHING, she doesn't start eating a bowl of food, go outside, or come on any furniture without getting "Permission/Invitation" FIRST!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Im afraid to answer my own door, or let any guests come in my house, its not that he's scary he just jumps and wants to love you all over! lol. I appreciate the ideas!:(
No, that's not wanting to love you all over. Your poor dog will jump on someone one day and that person will get hurt and sue and you will have take him for his final goodbye forever. Nalance, you have a problem that's not funny and will get your dog is serious trouble. Big rottweilers jumping on humans are not amusing to anyone. First and foremost, you must put him on a leash when guests come to visit. And if he starts to jump, immediately interrupt that behaviour with the leash and a very firm, stern "No". Do not relent until he is completely quiet. Then pat him "good boy". I would suggest practising with friends and family coming to the door in this way. Your dog has to learn that jumping is simply not allowed. If you have permitted him to jump on you as a pup, then you have to ask the help of someone else to do exactly the same when you come to the door (ie. dog on leash and both of you "No"). When he stops, pat him. If he doesn't jump after several days of training, pat him - this is what we call positive reinforcement - ie. This is what we expect of you, thank you.

I suspect that you have been encouraging him as a pup because you thought "oh, he is so happy to see me" and so now he thinks that when you come to the door, that jumping is what you like. Now you have no choice but to change those rules. And you need to discipline yourself now and take this jumping on you/guests very seriously. I am not kidding - someone will not take to his behaviour in the cute way that you do and that will be the end for him. Rottweilers have a (undeserved) reputation and it doesn't take much to create a bad situation for them.

Keep us posted. I would like to hear in 4 weeks that the dog doesn't jump on anyone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Once you get him calmed down with YOU and your boyfriend, I highly suggest you tire him out before those training sessions with guests.

When I had my Dane girl, she was the wildest little puppy. Calming her down would take forever, not just 5 minutes. Once a week she had an obedience class we attended, and religiously we'd take her to a fenced in field and run her, play with her, work on training, etc for an hour before class. (12 week old Dane = 35lbs... 6 month old Dane = 50=60lbs... 7 month Dane = 70lbs!!!) It helped her with her training with us, but also tired her out for actual class so she wasn't so difficult to manage. (She had excited peeing even!) She never jumped or anything, but focus was often terrible because she was just so worked up in excitement.

So definitely try tiring him out some before working with him and guests... If you get him tired enough, a minute of excitement and he'll want to go lay in bed! It'll get you farther a lot quicker.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
lol. that reminds me of how my dog mocha was. i would tire her out before class and even then she was still the most crazy dog in class. she was also the youngest. my instructor didn't like her and i took offense and ended up quiting the class. we still learned a lot though before that happened.

·
Registered
133 Posts
She was just a TAD overwhelming for the other pups at times... I mean, she was a 60lb puppy hurdling her full body at these little things to play, LOL.

It worked for us.. We just left a little enthusiasm to get the job done. :rolleyes: Then after we'd go out for lunch at our favorite restaurant and she was tired enough then to mind her own business and munch on her ice cubes!

Excited dogs definitely need to have energy released before serious training sessions! It's kind of like why would you feed your dog just before training them with treats? They need to be hungry to be food motivated! (Well, not all, some are pigs...!)

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Great advice laughing! I never had a issue of any of my Rotts jumping. I would tire the hell out of them in training and playing. I have a huge fenced in yard. When people would come to visit i started off when they were young to sit and stay when someone would knock at my door. I have a 5 min rule which I would tell my guests before hand.....they were to come in and not talk to my Rotts. I would talk to them but they were not to talk or pet them. It wouldn't take long and my Rotts would go lay down. Then and only then after my guests sat down I would tell one of them it was ok to meet my guests. Now they would bark to let me know someone was at my door. Even the pizza guy is amazed that they sit and stay. I have one pizza guy that loves kitty, when he comes i bring kitty, out to see him. I used to have a UPS guy that loved kitty, too.....after he would pet her she would go and get in his truck.....LOL She wanted to go for a ride......LOL
Once you get him calmed down with YOU and your boyfriend, I highly suggest you tire him out before those training sessions with guests.

When I had my Dane girl, she was the wildest little puppy. Calming her down would take forever, not just 5 minutes. Once a week she had an obedience class we attended, and religiously we'd take her to a fenced in field and run her, play with her, work on training, etc for an hour before class. (12 week old Dane = 35lbs... 6 month old Dane = 50=60lbs... 7 month Dane = 70lbs!!!) It helped her with her training with us, but also tired her out for actual class so she wasn't so difficult to manage. (She had excited peeing even!) She never jumped or anything, but focus was often terrible because she was just so worked up in excitement.

So definitely try tiring him out some before working with him and guests... If you get him tired enough, a minute of excitement and he'll want to go lay in bed! It'll get you farther a lot quicker.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great advice laughing! I never had a issue of any of my Rotts jumping. I would tire the hell out of them in training and playing. I have a huge fenced in yard. When people would come to visit i started off when they were young to sit and stay when someone would knock at my door. I have a 5 min rule which I would tell my guests before hand.....they were to come in and not talk to my Rotts. I would talk to them but they were not to talk or pet them. It wouldn't take long and my Rotts would go lay down. Then and only then after my guests sat down I would tell one of them it was ok to meet my guests. Now they would bark to let me know someone was at my door. Even the pizza guy is amazed that they sit and stay. I have one pizza guy that loves kitty, when he comes i bring kitty, out to see him. I used to have a UPS guy that loved kitty, too.....after he would pet her she would go and get in his truck.....LOL She wanted to go for a ride......LOL

LOL!!! Thanks for the giggles! ;) Dogs can be so silly at times! Believe it or not, we had a greeting CAT. This girl is incredibly special. Everyone who "hates" cats loves her, everyone she meets loves her, and she's so adorable and cuddly. Every time someone would come to the door she'd be right outside meowing, rolling around their feet, etc... We'd ALWAYS open the door to a smiling person! It was a great ice breaker, too. All the "regulars" loved her (i.e. pizza guy) and sometimes open the door to someone holding her!! She could just melt your heart. Even when we had a garage sale she was right outside greeting everyone and making them all friendly. It was her "magic touch". Although I don't think she ever hopped into any trucks!! LOL

My Dane girl was a huge submissive/excited pee-er.. Literally one look, one tone of pitch, and it was urine EVERYWHERE. Look her in the eyes... Pee. Pet her.... pee. Talk in a too "fun" of a voice... pee. Say her name in a happy tone... pee. It was peeing all the freaking time! I swear she had an endless bladder! She got so excited by her trainer we just kept paper towels around because we KNEW it was going to happen. There was no way around it! She just loved her trainer and couldn't handle herself. So we'd be damn well sure to tell everyone, "No looking, no touching, no talking, pretend she doesn't exist!!!" If she was given time to settle herself down she'd stop the exciting peeing if we were careful, and the submissive peeing was extremely mild. She only did it a few times. Anyone who went against our rule got the death glare as we're wiping up the floor!! :rolleyes: Good thing over time she slowly grew out of it. Finally those muscles caught up to her size! Oh the joys of owning giants...!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts