Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My puppy bilbo is almost 5 months old now and he’s doing great.. for the most part... but the crying at night has started again!!!

He sleeps in his crate downstairs in the house. It took two weeks when we first got him for him to fully settle at night and not cry the whole night. Then everything was great.. he would stay quiet from 11pm until 6-7am and I was happy enough with that.

But last week out of nowhere the crying started again. Only now he will happily walk into his crate at bed time and he stays quiet for the first hour or so and then it starts.. and he’s much older now so a lot louder and he can’t properly bark.. we tried ignoring it like before but it was literally impossible to sleep before work. I would go down and let him out for toilet but he’d gotten to the stage where he was previously going the whole night south out needing toilet. It didn’t seem to be toilet anyway because he’d start again as soon as I put him back in the crate. We couldn’t do it after 3 nights and we gave in and brought the crate up to our room and then he was absolutely fine. But I’m really keen to move him back downstairs again but can’t listen to him all night again.. just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and is transiting back to sleeping alone difficult? I’d imagine it will be a drawn out process. I already feel like he has an attachment issue and I don’t want it getting any worse. Thanks guys appreciate any input. Sam

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Could your pup stay at night in your room in his own dog bed? It does sound like he is lonely and wants to be with his people.
Use the crate downstairs during the day...but give him bedroom privileges at night?

You could also try putting him in his crate for the night downstairs, covering it lightly with a sheet...and maybe leaving a radio, or a t.v. on for him?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We went through this for months. At night we covered his crate with a blanket. We ensured he had a long walk and lots of attention before crate time at night plus he gets a soup bone. Like all Rottweilers his primary need is to be close but now he is fine sleeping on a bed downstairs. I have a cheap wireless camera on him that I can speak through if he is making a racket. He is 16 months old now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally, I'd start by ignoring him when he whines in the crate, and only giving him attention once he is quiet. As for my pup, I preferred to arrange a schedule and take him out at set times during the night, rather than waiting for him to wake me up. Then, if he whined when it wasn't time to take him out, we completely ignored him. Puppies can hold it longer when they're asleep than during the day, so you probably only need to get up once in the middle of the night, maybe twice. Now I'm surfing petslifeguide.com to find a suitable bed for him

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
The OP's pup was 5 months old, a bit passed the age for needing to do get up during the night. He had been sleeping through the night, when the new behavior had started. Young puppies, is a must to get up during the night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice again. Yes, like you said he doesn't need to go to the toilet at night anymore and he had been sleeping fine downstairs for a few weeks in crate when the new behaviour started. Again, like you suggested we have given in to allowing him sleep in his crate in the bedroom and he's loving it haha - no issues at all. We just have to carry the crate up and down the stairs now twice a day!!

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
You could try just giving him a dog bed in your room ? He may just sleep without getting into trouble? You could also see if you can buy a used crate? Then you would not have to be hauling one around up and down the stairs. They do come up often for sale...dogs outgrow them, or they are just not needed anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you find your answer Sambrad90?
Kinda unusual once a pup has settled and sleeps through to take a step back...
Ive had dogs for 30 years (Rotties for 10) and dont remember this problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts