Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He guys. I have a serious problem. And I am concerned. Lets start by telling you what happend.

Last night Harley met up with one of his friends. All was great playing well. Then another dog came into the picture, normally all 3 dogs play well. Well the 3rd dog was pestering Harleys friend to the point that he lunged at whatever was closest to him. Well poor harley was in the cross fire. You could tell he was just defending himself, he was trying to walk away while growling at the other dog to stop. Well he friend would not stop. Finally Harley had enough of being attacked, he fought back, and Bad, he took the other dogs leg in his mouth and shook, Alot.

With all this being said, I grabbed Harleys collar to calm him down, some idiot went to pick up the dog that lunged at harley. Needles to say he was bit in the hand, but the managed to get him up. Then out of the blue Harley bit his leg again. This time, since I had his collar, he did not do damage.

I know the people well who owns the dog that has been hurt, I am taking them to the vet, and will pay for visit and for antibiotics need be.

Should I feel as if my dog went crazy. Or did he have every right to defend himself from a dog that litterally hanging on to his neck.

The owners are not mad, they know it was their dog that started this whole mess, they could not get him off.

What do I do, how do I feel.

Needless to say we will be playing with them again, knowing that he will actually fight back now, and not take it. Do I keep him away from dogs in general. He really does have a playful and sweet disposition.. After he calmed down from the fight, he wanted to play again. NON aggressive. I did not let him

Feed back, advice please

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Any dog will defend himself at some point. Usually if they don't think they can run away , they stand and fight. A couple of males getting into it is kinda normal. breaking up a dog fight can get you into a lot of trouble. People get bit and sometimes pretty bad. Next time he seems like he is ready to rumble tell him NO and lead him away untill he calms down. Covering his eyes may help too but be careful.

I have heard that the best way to get two dogs apart is by grabbing their hind legs. Don't get near those teeth.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I have any reason to fear him. I don't right now, Right after the fight all he wanted to do was play. These guys will never again play with eachother. I do not want Harley to feel he has to fight back. Will he do this towards all dogs now ?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I don't think that YOU need to fear him. He wasn't the aggressor to begin with and you said that he did calm down. If he did calm down that is a really good thing. Just shows that he was protecting himself. maybe best to introduce him to new dogs on a leash for a little while just in case. I'm no professional but I think it was just a one time thing. At least it didn't look like a post office afterwards

·
Registered
328 Posts
First can I ask what the age is of these dogs? Intact??? And I agree totally with lifting the rear legs to break up the fight. Grabbing collars is dangerous.

You may not be able to let them play together again. Especially if they didn't get to decide on who was alfa.

Barb

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to say that these 2 will NEVER be playing again

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
rottielover , why are you paying for the vet bill ? seems to me you shouldn't have to , you said the other dog started it right ? and he got the bad end of the deal !

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats right, but I still feel responsible because the othe dog got hurt. I paid 1/2 of it, and it really was not that bad like I thought

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
rottielover , that was very kind and generous of you to pay half of the vet bill since your boy was not the one who was the aggressor . Question for you were all the dogs on a lead ? and were the owners there ?

Here's a sayingI say all the time what goes around comes around ! It might take a day a week , a month , a year or even years. ...but you get what you put out good or bad .....So I think you have some good coming to you in the future when you least expect it !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts