Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just joined this forum yesterday. As a newbie and a desperate mom, I need help on my parvo puppy.

I have 2 rotties, male named Maximus and female named Boomba and they are both at 7.5 months old. When Max was 4 months old, he had parvo. He was hospitalized for 4 days and survived. Boomba didn't have any symptoms at the time so she was given antibiotics just in case and until today she doesn't have it. Max was sent home with antibiotics for 7 days and I/D food for a week as well. As told by the vet that we should put him back on the food that he used to have after a week of I/D and we did. For the next 3 weeks, he had diarrhea and the funny thing was Boomba had the same symptoms. Ok I figured it was the dog food, so I switched them to Canidae. They did well on the first 2 days but the 3rd day, they had serious diarrhea. Switched them again to Nutro Lamb, nope, Eagle Pack Lamb, good for boomba, nope for max. I put Max on Ca. Natural Lamb last monday and he started diarrhea this past thurs. I put him on I/D yesterday morning and his diarrhea has improved today. Just some loose stools here and there, some solid too. I know it takes a looooong time for him to heal and switching different kinds of food isn't good for him in such short period of time. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO !! The vet did say switch him back to his normal food. What did I miss? If the vet told me to home cook for him, I would. Instead of going thru all that frustration for 4 months. My lawn is soaked with diarrhea and it's gross...... He is a big(78 lbs) sweet boy, always friendly to us, obedient and just great. It hurts to see himin paineveryday....

I am also suspecting that Boomba probably has parvo but just didn't attack her. She probably has some parvo cells in her GI system, that's why she has the same symptoms as max does and at the same time.

I would appreciate any help or suggestion as I am very desperate.

Thanks in advance.

Vicky

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I am sorry to hear your pups are not feeling well. I really don't know much about parvo but I know when my dog is sick I give her brown rice and chicken (in small meals) for about three days. Then I start mixing her dog food in (Canidae) slowly over the next few days. It seems to do the trick. It can't hurt either way so I always give that a try first.

Hope that helps! I hope your pups feel better soon.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I talked to my friend and she said feed them more bone.She buys her chicken from Walmart get chicken quarters and if you can necks.They eat these raw.The quarters should be choped into small bites they can eat

You can also do the bland diet.Hamburger cooked and drained with brown rice.

This should help with the tummy problem.I hope they get better and welcome to the list

Donna

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Samsmom-Thank you for your advice. BTW, do you boil the chicken? I am not an expert at cooking.

rutylr-Thank you for your advice. I thought protein from meat or bones would bother them more?? Like I mentioned, I am no expert and certainly do not know what chicken quarters are.

At this point, I will try anything.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi boombamax and welcome ....you give the chicken raw ....

Walmart get chicken quarters and if you can necks.They eat these raw.The quarters should be choped into small bites they can eat

Hope your babies feels better soon .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I will just go to a supermarket to get those chicken quarters as Walmart in Southern California doesn't carry produce or meat. Thanks Kitty.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It's the bone in the meat that will help you get the hard stools back.There is nothing in the dog food that is helping to bind them up right now.

A meat market would be a great place to get chicken necks from if you can. Chicken necks might work better for you as you don't need to chop.

Feed chicken in the morning all they need is about one and 1/2 quarter in the morning(Legs and a thigh).Then feed them dog food in the evening.

Keep us posted on the babies.

Donna

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi boombamax....

The chicken quarters that Kitty and Donna are referring to are given raw. When I give my dog chicken and rice (or as Donna suggested you could use hamburger) then I do cook the chicken in the microwave or boil it and then cook the brown rice and I give that mixture to her as her dinner for a few days.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Your Walmart doesn't have a meat section ? gesssh what kind of Walmart is it ? now if you do like Samsmom says you want to buy chicken with out the bone (when cooking it ) but you need the bone in it so DON'T cook it give it raw ... I hope this helps your babies ! keep us posted ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I got it. hehe thank you all. Yep Walmarts here don't have meat or produce, so I will go to like Vons or Ralphs, see what I can get. You all are great help and I really appreciate it. I might have to go for a cooking class !?!?!?

I will keep you all posted.

Vicky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Latest Update

My pups are doing much better. I have been feeding them boiled chicken, white/brown rice combo, regular kibblesand some pumpkin (known to harden stools) snacks. They seem to have better stools, not runny but medium soft. To me that's much better thanit was. They are attending their 2nd training class today and I am very excited for them.

I just want to thank all of you for all the help and time.

Vicky

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Glad to hear they are doing better.Do you think taking them out while they are sick is a good idea.Being sick already they will be suseptable to anything anyone else might have.

I would keep them home until they are all better,better to be safe then sorry.

Donna

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Donna,

Thanks for your concern. They should be ok. I have been taking them out, sometimes separately, to parks, dog park, and walks. If I don't take them out, they will tear down our house from a two-story to an one-story.

One thing I forgot to mention is that they are both on probiotics starting yesterday. It will take some time for it to kick in and I am crossing my fingers.

Vicky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.