Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told he looks fat he will be 8 months on April 1st and just broke 100 pounds.
honestly there's is a big differance between fat and muscular and muscle weights more than fat.
he takes after Dik grand daddy and Titus his daddy. what is your opinion?
I also just switched them over to adult kibble.
he's still a growing puppy and I don't want to put him on a diet.
you can see Dik and Titus here. Titus is under Diks kids.
Dik

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jakesmom, I think he looks great. Nikki is a little overweight too and I started cutting her food by a half a cup a day to get that hour glass figure they should have. Moose has that hour glass figure but he isn't ribby at all.

·
Registered
880 Posts
yes, he looks to be a bit overweight, especially in the sitting picture. What a face though- he's gorgeous! It would be nice to see a side stack though, and a shot from above standing. I know I look fat when I sit :-O

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
can't say for certain in either picture. A full profile and a pic taken from the top would give a better clue.

That said - putting hand on a dog is a better gauge than looking at pictures, but good pics can help - does he FEEL fat? How easily can you feel his ribs? Does he have a slight tuck up at the belly when viewed from the side? Does he have a 'waist' when viewed from the top?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics but, he is a handsome boy. Duke is just over a month older and weighed 103lbs about 2 weeks ago. I had the opposite problem as you, everybody said he was skinny, and I did have a hard time for awhile getting his weight up without having the runs all the time. I could see his ribs clearly at one point but, finally got him about right. It's really hard while they're growing so fast, seems like every week I was adjusting his intake

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will get more pictures from the side. I've had several Rotti's over the years and he is the only one that
didn't go through a lanky stage. he was built like a tank at 7 weeks old and still is as far as his eating
he eats BB adult now 2 cups in the am and 2 cups in the pm he gets no table scraps and is actives
all day everyday. I can feel his ribs and if you look at the standing pic you can see ribs and a lil tuck.
I really don't like the idea of putting a growing puppy on a diet that may do more harm then good imho.
I keep looking at Dik and Titus's pictures and they are tank like as well. I will cut his kibble back a little
starting today and see how it go's but he is always hungry. NO he doesn't have worms:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes I can feel his ribs.
I took his measurements
24 inches tall @the withers
12 inches wide @ the chest
27 inches long from the nap neck to the base of his tail.
28 inches around his waist
34 inches around his chest
24 inches around his neck
the space between his ears is 7 inches
he's 100.2 pounds
he'll be 8 months old April 1st

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Putting a pup on a diet is better than having a fat puppy. As for always being hungry, that is never an indicator of how well you feed your dog. I could give my dogs 15 cups of food twice a day and they'd all still be hungry. Sadly, they all have to 'survive' on 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food twice a day - I'm such a mean mom...not! None of the dogs are over- or under weight...

·
Registered
880 Posts
lol he's not a rottweiler, he's a hereford!

Sadie is 24" at the withers, and I just cant imagine another 20 pounds on her. At 8 months she was very lanky. Just goes to show the individual differences of each dog.

·
Registered
824 Posts
LOL.. I remember his puppy pics, he has been a tank since you got him..lol. BTW.. I forgot to ask, who thought he was fat? Somebody with a Greyhound?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did talk to my Vet about it and he said he's fine and not to do anything different.
I don't have to dig to feel ribs I can pass my hand over his side and feel them.
of course Kodi prefers I dig cause it really gets his leg going:)
he does have a waist you can tell by the measurements I took.
youre right sadie Kayla is 3 weeks younger than Kodi and she is very lanky and goofy looking.
I think its just a diffeance in their build and back grounds just like people they are not all the same.
what ever the case I love him he's a sweet boy.
Dik and all his kids are known to be built like tanks so Kodi is following in their footsteps.
lol I guess I shouldn't listen to ignorant groomers at Petco, she couldn't lift him. funny I lift him
into my Jeep all the time....

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jakesmom, One thing I have noticed with Nikki is her shoulders are not very wide yet. In a horse it takes until they are 3 or 4 years old until the shoulders expand. I don't know if that is how a rottie puppy grows too. I also know that Nikki's dad is wider then Moose but not as tall as Moose.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not sure either Martha. I did notice going through Kodi's pictures that he no longer has a pointed head
there was a time when I thought he would always have a pointy head.:)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.