Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a little trip this past weekend and I took my dogs as usual. I went to a camp ground down in Pa for one of the days. While walking them so they could do their business, a loose dog ran up to my male looking for a fight. I had both of my dogs on leashes ( camp site rules ) and it got pretty ugly. This dog was the perfect example of showing up at a gunfight with a knife and he had a pretty small knife. The other dog got torn up pretty bad and I had to pry my dogs teeth off of him. I did all I could do to prevent a fight. I saw the dog coming and yelled " somebody grab that dog " as I reeled my dog in to his collar. I was completely innocent but I heard a lot of crap about " those dogs are weapons and shouldn't be allowed in public " by a woman who didn't even see what happened. Why is it always the Rottweiler's fault ?

I went to the office there at the campground and reported it and there just happened to be a woman in the little store/office at the time. She told the owners of the site that all of her children played in the grass with both of my dogs that day and didn't have a problem. One of her children was 2 years old and about 125 lbs less than my dog. I have never had a problem with kids and either of my dogs , they love people in general. Dylan doesn't like other dogs and this one picked a fight.

I am a dog lover and I have been in touch with the campground since saturday getting updates on the dog. He is pretty beat up but he is going to be okay. I am sending half of the vet bill down there. Am I crazy ?

On a second note... We spent our nights at Comfort Inn and they didn't have a problem with my two dogs staying there. Extra $5 and everything was fine. They didn't bitch about there size or anything. Walked them right through the lobby. If you are traveling and need a place to stay, try Comfort Inn.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Where at in Pa. ? I'm from Pa. Did you find out who owned the other dog? If you did I would send the whole bill to them .... their dog was off leash not yours !!! It was diffenently their fault ....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If your dog is on a leash it is not your fault.You owe them nothing.

I use to have this problem when I use to walk my dogs.Except I would put my dog in a sit and kick the other dog is it hit the side walk.Just protecting my dogs.Tho I was told by a police man that if my dog is on a leash and would happen to hurt a loose dog it would be the other owners fault.

Lucky I have quite a few dogs owned by the local police men.

Donna

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree. You did the best you could do. Not sure about PA, but most everywhere has leash laws. You should not have to pay anything.......just my 1/2 peso.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would not pay on the bill. It was their fault not yours. If you had to take your dog to the vet would these people pay 1/2 your vet bill? I don't think so. Just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ya everyone here is correct. You are at no fault.

OK let me give you an example and this is a true story.

A friend of mine had his Rotty [130 pounds of muscle] on a leash and we where just standing in front of his driveway and all of a sudden the neighbor's dog [German Shepard] got out and ran towards us and attacked my friend's rotty.

Now all this happened so FAST and by the time we got both dogs separated [Me, my Friend, and the neighbor] the German Shepard was lying on the ground pretty much almost died on the spot. Injury around the neck area.

Cops came and both parties filled out paper work but the neighbor knew it was his fault for letting his dog lose. My friend didnt get any ticket or anything or the neighbor didnt bother filing any suit as he knew it was his fault.

Who knows exaclty what would happened if the nighbor chose to file a suit. We'll never know I guess. We did felt bad for the other dog and the owner but kinda speechless if you think about it.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody forced me to pay anything but I feel bad none the less. If Dylan were trained a little better he would have let go when I said " out " and the damage wouldn't have been so bad.

I was really surprised to see the REAL strength of a dog on a mission. Dylan picked that 85 pound dog up in the air and shook it like it weighed 10 lbs. Dogs must have that super strength thing going on when they get wound up, just like stories you hear about humans when they get all pumped up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I don't know about the laws there but by paying half you may have inadvertently shown you are claiming some of the responsibility for what happened and may be opening yourself up to a lawsuit. I hope everything works out well for you and your dog.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Well a couple weeks ago Sampson met a PittBull ...... That story I told about him not really understanding why the Pitt was not freindly ......

I think he remembered his meet Cause yesterday someone brought a boxer into his ( Sampsons ) Bar .... Well i dont know if he was taking advantage of this dog being on a leash or just wanting the first word in ....

But he deffinetly was not going to let any other dog into his place ..... I have never seen him act like this before ..... He has always been friendly tward other dogs ....

I dont know what to do about this ..... I yelled at him but it didnt matter ...... He just kept his fur up and did his lil rotty stare down ....The people that owned the boxer took it well they put there dog back outside where dogs belong ...... And were still very nice to Sampson ....

I hope this is just him protecting his spot and not what is going to be the norm ...... I dont want him agrresive twards anything .....

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

It is possible he thinks since his encounter with the pitbull, if he shows he is the dominant dog then the other dogs will be forced to leave him alone.He may act aggressively toward other dogs on what he considers his home turf to show he is "the lead dog" and to keep other dogs "in line". By doing this in his mind he may think they are less likely to attack him or try to aggressively approach him. This is just my guess, I could be way off-hope everything works out well for the both of you. You may want to try taking him around dogs that you know arent aggressive so he will realize not all dogs want to fight, and he doesnt have to "defend" his position.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It's a Rottweiler thing.Once they get it in their head that this is theirs then they need to protect it.No matter what it is.

Donna

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.