Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a followup to an earlier post I made. We were having some issues with our pup. She is now a little over a year. Covid and other things put things onto the back burner but after a lot of research we found a trainer who comes to the house to work with us. I have owned hunting breeds my whole life and have trained them but Rotts are something else. Very stubborn. The trainer is a former dog handler with the US air force including work with K9s overseas. He has been great working with us. I know alot of the basics but he has helped with some of finer points of training and situations that have helped with her. Some of it in how I react to her. He has worked with rotts and he said mine is a bit higher than average when it comes to hyperness. But now that she is an adult we can see she is real sweetheart and very smart. She gets mouthy at times but it is just being hyper and playful and that is part of what we are working on with the trainer. She is not vicious or aggressive which is what we wanted. She does well around other people. She only looks scary if someone comes onto our property at night. We live in an isolated location and she is really on alert. But during the day when the delivery driver comes to drop off a package or the postman she is calm and useless won't even bark unless they try to approach the dog. She is very smart and seems to know the difference between real threats .

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Glad that you are getting some help with a trainer. Rottweilers are a working breed....they do best if they have some sort of job to do. Do you do any activities with her? Tracking, agility, rally, pulling a cart or sled with a harness, wearing back pack, etc. Having them learn new tricks and activities uses mental work...which tires them out. How much exercise and training time does she get each day?

Rottweilers are slow to mature...by 2-3 years of age, they usually calm down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad that you are getting some help with a trainer. Rottweilers are a working breed....they do best if they have some sort of job to do. Do you do any activities with her? Tracking, agility, rally, pulling a cart or sled with a harness, wearing back pack, etc. Having them learn new tricks and activities uses mental work...which tires them out. How much exercise and training time does she get each day?

Rottweilers are slow to mature...by 2-3 years of age, they usually calm down.
Right now I am walking with her once a day. My girlfriend has broken ribs at the moment so her walking the dog right now is out. The only mental activity we do right now with her is the training. I own and live on a ranch. We have a big backyard but unfortunately she puts everything in her mouth and I worry about what she will chew on and worse what she will swallow if left unattended in the big backyard. Even on our walks she likes to pick up stuff although she is getting better at not doing it. I want to take her in the car with me for drives to our other property. She seems to be getting better being in the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
One walk a day is not nearly enough mental or physical exercise per day for a young Rottweiler. You can buy a muzzle (the kinds she can still drink from) and muzzle her if she is getting into things while out and about. Better yet teach her "leave it" and "drop it" commands. I'm sure there are some youtube videos out there to show you.

If you live on a ranch do you have any animals? Rottweilers love to herd. You can try with sheep or ducks. All of my Rottweilers were tested on sheep and just loved herding! If you want her to calm down...you are going to have to up her exercise...and also work her brain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One walk a day is not nearly enough mental or physical exercise per day for a young Rottweiler. You can buy a muzzle (the kinds she can still drink from) and muzzle her if she is getting into things while out and about. Better yet teach her "leave it" and "drop it" commands. I'm sure there are some youtube videos out there to show you.

If you live on a ranch do you have any animals? Rottweilers love to herd. You can try with sheep or ducks. All of my Rottweilers were tested on sheep and just loved herding! If you want her to calm down...you are going to have to up her exercise...and also work her brain.
She gets one walk a day and now I walk her in the front where we have lighting. Unfortunately I can't walk her in the dark. We don't have any animals. It is all food production.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts