Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey...well the puppy turned out to have an infection...shes on meds now so should be getting better i hope. my question now is about dominance issues. she is still a very young puppy, but seems to listen to me well when she is play biting or something, but when she is with my girlfriend (who has spent as much time with her as me) she doesnt listen. she has "attacked" her pants legs a couple times and tried every method to get her off but she wont listen or be redirected. she wont do this when im around or do it to me in general. which leads me to believe that maybe she thinks she is the pack leader instead of my girlfriend. this issue obviously needs to be corrected asap. i will deal with it now, but not if it continues as she gets older. is there a good way to teach her whos boss? any help would be great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does anyone know of some games or training techniques to go through for her to know who is boss and where she stands in the "pack". im just trying to get some way for her tostart realizing that my gf is above her. just some techniques or little things we can do with her to make her know that would be great?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Jdip , does she walk her and feed her at all ? That will help a bit . Donna might have some good ideas for you .... I 've never had a pup that was pushie with other family members ....I wouldn't allow it ....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Try having her put the puppy down,Down as in on the floor with your gf standing over her.Make her stay there until she stops squirming.Do this often,when the puppy does not expect this.Dogs do it also you will see one walk up to a dog lower then themselves and down the other dog goes.

Also have her give the puppy food,water,and let the dog out,The dog should sit in the door way while the person goes out first,then call the dog out.Same when comming in,just don't open the door and let her in.Have gf go out sit puppy by door walk in then allow dog to follow.

Also take stuff away and give back,Puppy should allow anything to be taken away.Start out with toys and work up to the goodstuff,Bones or what ever chew toy they like the best.This all takes time.

Good luck

Donna

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
She might fight harder is you make her lay bellie up.So just get her down and still at first.Then work on the belly up.This is the most vunerable a dog can be is belly up.Once she see you as one of the big dogs she should have no problem with this.

Donna

·
Registered
7 Posts
k thanks...ill try it out. we do all the things with going in and out of the house already but we are going to start having my gf do some hand feeding and your recommendation...hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you know as i sit here and read all the websites about dog dominace or whatever and the signs of it....shes really not doing any of them. maybe one very occasionally. i had my gf try the standing over and putting the down down. the dog didnt mind at all and even allowed my gf to roll her onto her back and she just laid there on her back. so i was trying to figure out what it could be...i tried to think back to the past two weeks and think about the two days that she has been wild. and i came to realize that i had a trainer both nights before and she was training her with RED BARN dog food. both times she has come sometime in the afternoon, by the evening the puppy is really hyper and seems to poop more. this continues till the next morning usually. this is also the only two times she ever pooped in her crate. i dont know if anyone has ever used the red barn product or had a reaction to a treat as such but its the only thing that has been consistent the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Never heard of that food before.Not to thrilled about adding salt and it say Wheat flour(whats in the wheat flour.

I use hot dogs as treats and you can cut then into little bitty bits,and hour training session takes about one hot dog for my guys.They have yet to have the poops.

Maybe you could have the trainer use the treat of your choice.

Donna

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.