Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 week old puppy, registered breeder, breeder chose for us. We have had for two weeks. My puppy (Fred) is amazing with our two cats, goats and chickens. For the most part when we are outside the house he does amazing (listens to commands, gentle ect.) In the house he is awful. Doesn’t listen, bites me, growls. It is definitely worse when he is tired. Is this a dominance display? Not in classes yet because he hasn’t gotten all his shots. My husband keeps telling me I need to be giving him a big old swat/barrel role but everywhere online says this is a no no. How do I assert my dominance without aggression? Why so mean to me but gentle with all the animals?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would (and am happy to be corrected) be surprised at a dominance display from a 10 week old. Being tired - sounds like a young fretful child acting out because they're tired. Is Fred crate trained? Can he go to a crate when he starts to act up for a nap/rest? I would start looking for those little signs that he's tired and proactively send him for a nap.

I would guess, based on my limited puppy experience, that the biting and growling is playing, or fretful playing (when he's tired). What does your husband do that's different that what you do? Personally I think alpha rolls are not helpful - our dogs know we're not dogs - and I wouldn't do it to a 10 week old regardless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would (and am happy to be corrected) be surprised at a dominance display from a 10 week old. Being tired - sounds like a young fretful child acting out because they're tired. Is Fred crate trained? Can he go to a crate when he starts to act up for a nap/rest? I would start looking for those little signs that he's tired and proactively send him for a nap.

I would guess, based on my limited puppy experience, that the biting and growling is playing, or fretful playing (when he's tired). What does your husband do that's different that what you do? Personally I think alpha rolls are not helpful - our dogs know we're not dogs - and I wouldn't do it to a 10 week old regardless.
Thanks for the reply. He is kennel trained and loves his kennel. Maybe I am crowding him? At what age does tired grumpiness become inexcusable?

my husband uses a strong voice and hits him on the nose. He displays close to no aggression with my husband but I am the one primarily home with him.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
10 week old puppy, registered breeder, breeder chose for us. We have had for two weeks. My puppy (Fred) is amazing with our two cats, goats and chickens. For the most part when we are outside the house he does amazing (listens to commands, gentle ect.) In the house he is awful. Doesn’t listen, bites me, growls. It is definitely worse when he is tired. Is this a dominance display? Not in classes yet because he hasn’t gotten all his shots. My husband keeps telling me I need to be giving him a big old swat/barrel role but everywhere online says this is a no no. How do I assert my dominance without aggression? Why so mean to me but gentle with all the animals?
Welcome to the forums!! Please remember you have a 10 week old puppy!! He's just left his littermates 2 weeks ago. Do not expect Fred to listen. Biting and growling is how he would be playing with his littermates. Get your husband to stop hitting him...or you will end up with a hand shy dog. Forget this dominance crap!!!!

You need to get signed up for a positive based Puppy Class now! He needs to have his second set of shots which usually are given by 10-11 weeks of age, to be able to attend most obedience classes. If not, get a trainer over for a one-on-one to your home to show you how to train the pup and deal with his behaviors. Swatting and rolling are old style methods and should not be done to a young pup.

Look up NILIF (google) and you can start doing this with puppy...so he has to do something if he wants something. It's a way to teach manners and good behavior without resorting to swatting and hitting and rolling.

When he starts biting and growling he either has too much energy and needs to get some exercise, or he is overtired and needs to go into his crate down for a nap. Puppies need to sleep and rest.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was thinking about this and wondering if one reason he doesn't try to play with your husband (the biting and growling) is because he's scared of your husband. What with the hitting. I agree with everything BBD has said.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the reply. He is kennel trained and loves his kennel. Maybe I am crowding him? At what age does tired grumpiness become inexcusable?

my husband uses a strong voice and hits him on the nose. He displays close to no aggression with my husband but I am the one primarily home with him.
Yes agree you can't be smacking a pup that young and its not a great idea when adults either. He is literally a baby and despite your family, has probably led a very dog oriented environment. Those two combined make a very confused pup as they all are at the beginning. You need to teach him to listen and respect people ie yourselves and to live in a home environment, they won't just adapt automatically. Lots of love, play, gentle voices and PATIENCE is needed at this age and beyond believe me. Building a strong bond is crucial at this age and that's only achieved through love and respect while still a baby. Being harsh dominant or alpha at this age will only hinder or break any bond you have. Yes means yes and no means no but you have to do it in a different way while this young.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Please remember you have a 10 week old puppy!! He's just left his littermates 2 weeks ago. Do not expect Fred to listen. Biting and growling is how he would be playing with his littermates. Get your husband to stop hitting him...or you will end up with a hand shy dog. Forget this dominance crap!!!!

You need to get signed up for a positive based Puppy Class now! He needs to have his second set of shots which usually are given by 10-11 weeks of age, to be able to attend most obedience classes. If not, get a trainer over for a one-on-one to your home to show you how to train the pup and deal with his behaviors. Swatting and rolling are old style methods and should not be done to a young pup.

Look up NILIF (google) and you can start doing this with puppy...so he has to do something if he wants something. It's a way to teach manners and good behavior without resorting to swatting and hitting and rolling.

When he starts biting and growling he either has too much energy and needs to get some exercise, or he is overtired and needs to go into his crate down for a nap. Puppies need to sleep and rest.
Yes agree you can't be smacking a pup that young and its not a great idea when adults either. He is literally a baby and despite your family, has probably led a very dog oriented environment. Those two combined make a very confused pup as they all are at the beginning. You need to teach him to listen and respect people ie yourselves and to live in a home environment, they won't just adapt automatically. Lots of love, play, gentle voices and PATIENCE is needed at this age and beyond believe me. Building a strong bond is crucial at this age and that's only achieved through love and respect while still a baby. Being harsh dominant or alpha at this age will only hinder or break any bond you have. Yes means yes and no means no but you have to do it in a different way while this young.
Also you can tire them out so easy at this age, try lots of squeaky play games, little tug games, use food to get him to follow your hands into a sit by your side and down/stand etc. Normally they will follow the hand and food very easily at this age. Use the words with the hand gestures to instill association with the hand gesture and command. At this age he won't always understand but you will be subconsciously engraving training into his memory already. This will mentally stimulate him, get him working, tire him, is obedience foundation, builds your bond and teaches him to look to you for guidance which will help massively with his issues. All in one training session...win win. Keep it short and very fun/upbeat and do this consistently 2/3times a day for a few minutes each time and you will see a massive difference.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Puppies are as children are to adult humans, the adult understanding mind just isn't there. It's like expecting a 3 y.o. to hold an adult conversation on any topic. Also, it should be mentioned that Rottweilers are not like all dogs, they are a working and protection breed and should be understood as such. This being said, physical punishment is not as easily understood or accepted from a dog that is very tough and stoic. Physical punishment that would cow another breed of dog might just be interpreted as a challenge to a Rottie. You don't want that. Your task is to get the dog to work with you, not against you.

We have adopted Rottweilers, many of them, and some get to a point that you can expect and accept some behaviors that you wouldn't expect in a dog you raised from a puppy. I haven't had a Rottie pup in many years, but when I did it was a lovely experience and I absolutely never got one bit of challenge from her ever. We had one other Rottie as a pup, a male, also from a backyard breeder, and he did challenge. I didn't know then what I know now and we tried to get him to not growl, be food possessive and all of that and nothing ever worked. It was a lesson in futility to try to punish him for growling and snapping. I regret that now. We learned to live with certain behaviors that were in essence harmless. That dog never once bit us. He just looked like he was going to tear someone to pieces, and it was a big act.

I currently have two Rotties that at times growl when I pet them. With one I understand it is more of a grumble or purring, acknowledging and enjoying the petting she's getting. The other, the big one, of course the big dangerous looking one, it appears to be more of an assertion of his space. I let them both go, since no teeth are being shown and the behavior doesn't escalate.. They both came to us with extreme behavioral issues and not enough human interaction. In another setting they would have been PTS. I love them very much and am happy to be a good home for them when their outlook was pretty bleak. You have to know the limits some of these adopted dogs can get to. It takes time and patience, a good amount of courage and lots of love.

Dogs that need to be adopted are out there that have been messed up by beating on them. We had one who couldn't go through a doorway without bolting because he associated doorways with beatings It was all he could come up with, doorways! He had no idea why he was being beaten. I suppose many beating were by doorways so he associated them with beating. I couldn't sweep the floor with a broom or pick up a fly swatter and he'd be running away from me. That one has been gone many years, but he was a kind and gentle soul who had been very misunderstood. He never got over his fear of men. After a few years he stopped being my little shadow and relaxed more. We had another who had been badly beaten and starved near to death. He got over it and began to love my husband, which was very rewarding. Unfortunately, the physical abuse he sustained was too much on his poor body and he succumbed to cancer only 18 months after we adopted him. He was a sweet gentle boy too.

However, pups are more malleable, you have a lump of raw clay there, don't mess it up with pounding.

Read everything BBD said, then read it again. That is what I recommend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts