Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help I have a 15 month old intact male that I bought for my daughter to show but I am having some issues I need help with his dog aggresion I have been to 2 trainers the one that I am currently seeing has suggested using a shock collar on him but I am afraid that will make him worse he is a very smart dog picked up obedience very fast but cannot take him into the ring because he is dog aggressive have never had this problem at least not that I could not fix his breeder is telling me that it is the line (not bying that one) and too keep trying with him.The more i correct him for going after other dogs the more aggressive he gets he is wonderful with people and is a real good boy at home but I cannot take him anywhere I was very strong on getting my daughter a show pup and he has turned out to be a nightmare.
what should I do?

Thanks

Bobbi

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If the breeders lines are Dog agressive then she is not breeding dogs to the standard.They are not to be Dog aggressive.

I have seen some bad dogs helped with the E-collar.If you really want to show him then try it.You have nothing to loose as you stated you can not now take him into the ring.

Donna

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rutylr said:
If the breeders lines are Dog agressive then she is not breeding dogs to the standard.They are not to be Dog aggressive.

Well she did not say they were dog aggressive she said strongline and very stuburn let me quote her sry, I met both parents and they were fine and got along well with her other dogs so did not really worry about dog aggression issues

I have seen some bad dogs helped with the E-collar.If you really want to show him then try it.You have nothing to loose as you stated you can not now take him into the ring.

I have alot to lose. I think it could make him worse as when i correct him he wants the dog even more have u any advice on other things to try?

thanks

Bobbi

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I had a trainer friend who was a police man,and he got all the bad dogs that came for training.He used the e-collar with great results.

The dogs could come to class and train with the rest of the dogs and not try to kill any one.

I have never had a dog that could not go anywhere.Mine are everywhere at eight weeks.This type of behavior is because he was not around enough dogs growing up.He needs to learn if you are not good you get punished.If you can not do it mannuly I say try the collar.

Donna

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks Donna that put my mind at ease alittle I just do not want to do anything to ruin him. I got him when he was 4 months old and no he did not get much socilization at the breeders she is older with no children and a very quiet house.I am going to class tonight and will talk to the trainer again and see what we can come up with.

Thanks

Bobbi

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update on Dozer went to class last night he did so much better I was amazed, he did go after one dog at the begginning of class I got in his face and told him no and was very angry at him he listened to me the whole time we were at class he even paid attention to me he knew I was very upset at him and was not kidding around.(think he finally figured out that I am the one giving him the corrections not the other dog and it is his fault that he got corrected)I hope he continues to do better and I will not have to use an e-collar as I do not agree with that type of training for aggression issues, for getting a dogs attention and maybe teaching them bouderies then maybe but aggression I think it may make things much worse and I do not need to make things worse or even ruin my dog he is a happy puppy and I do not wish to change that about him.

Thanks

Bobbi

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
r0tts only , I'm glad to hear that your boy is doing much better with other dogs. Keep up letting him know who's the boss !!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If correction and praize are handed out at the right time,all training methods are good and will work.If they are used wrong that is when you get problems.Some dogs need more correction then others.They all need lost of praize.

Keep up the good work with him.Bad habits are learned over time and you must take the time to get them to go away.Roma was'nt built in a day. take baby steps.

Donna

·
Banned
839 Posts
Correcting dogs who are demonstrating dog aggression can be a dicey
issue, esp if the dog is showing strong aggressive behavior, with eye
contact, leash lunging, growling, showing teeth, etc.

You can cause the dog, in some instances, to associate the correction
with the appearance of other dogs, and sometimes it can REALLY escalate
the aggressive response in the dog, ESPECIALLY if it is a dog from high
drive or working type lines.

Some people have had good success with threshold behavior modification in dogs who behave aggressively.

Of course you need to make sure you are a good strong trustworthy
leader figure for your dog. If there are relationship or dominance
issues, the dog is not going to pay attention to your correction or
direction of him. I like this article for helping with dominance issues
in dogs:

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/alpha.htm

If there are no other issues with the dog as far as your relationship,
you can start "threshold" training. First you must figure out how close
you can get to another dog before your dog reacts. Once you have
figured out this basic distance, stop the dog several feet before he
would normally have a reaction.

Ask for his attention, and reward him if he focuses on you.

Move one step closer, ask for attention, and reward him again.

This method takes time to modify a behavior, but has worked quite well
for many people, and for many different behavioral issues.

You must work gradually, and it may seem sometimes like it's one step
forward and 2 steps backward, but it's certainly worth the effort.

Good luck.

:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Redyre Rotties said:
Correcting dogs who are demonstrating dog aggression can be a dicey issue, esp if the dog is showing strong aggressive behavior, with eye contact, leash lunging, growling, showing teeth, etc. Yes he is showing all of these and the more I would correct him the worse he wanted the other dog he has gotten alot better over the last week and is paying more attention to me and trying to ignor the other dogs in class.

You can cause the dog, in some instances, to associate the correction with the appearance of other dogs, and sometimes it can REALLY escalate the aggressive response in the dog, ESPECIALLY if it is a dog from high drive or working type lines. Exactly what was happening yes he comes from a strong working line and has alot of prey drive his lines are Schwaiger Wappen he gets very focused on the other dogs and lunges for them and when I correct him he tryes to get them even more.

Some people have had good success with threshold behavior modification in dogs who behave aggressively.

Of course you need to make sure you are a good strong trustworthy leader figure for your dog. If there are relationship or dominance issues, the dog is not going to pay attention to your correction or direction of him. I like this article for helping with dominance issues in dogs:I am the pack leader and he knows it he has never challenged me or anyone in my family but when he sees a strange dog he loses his mind

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/alpha.htm Thanks will check it out

If there are no other issues with the dog as far as your relationship, you can start "threshold" training. First you must figure out how close you can get to another dog before your dog reacts. Once you have figured out this basic distance, stop the dog several feet before he would normally have a reaction.Right now we can get about 10 feet away any closer and he starts to get upset.

Ask for his attention, and reward him if he focuses on you.Have been doing this and it is working

Move one step closer, ask for attention, and reward him again.when we first started class we could not even get into room without him going for other dog so he is getting better.

This method takes time to modify a behavior, but has worked quite well for many people, and for many different behavioral issues.

You must work gradually, and it may seem sometimes like it's one step forward and 2 steps backward, but it's certainly worth the effort.I am willing to try anything. He is not aggressive around my other dogs he gets along very well with them he does not like strange dogs. So far things have been going fine at class and I can see a change in his attitude and he is starting to relize that I am the one that is correcting him not the other dog.

Thanks

Bobbi

Good luck.

:D

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Keep doing what you are doing.Remember he did not get this way over night.

It will take lots of work ,you are doing a good job and I hope to see you out showing him .

Donna

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rutylr said:
Keep doing what you are doing.Remember he did not get this way over night.Actually yes he did get like this over night on wednesday class he was fine went to class on thursday and was showing alot of aggression.

It will take lots of work ,you are doing a good job and I hope to see you out showing him .Work that I am willing to do and I hope to see you also when is your next show? I wanted to show Dozer this fall but not gonna happen until I have full control over him.

Thanks

Bobbi

Donna

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Keep it up there will be shows in Elburn again in Feb.I am going to try and make it for those.But you know the weather that time of year.

I am done pretty much this year just training for Elwoods CD hope to earn it in Jan

Donna

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE on Dozer he is doing great I have my Obedience down and he had made a complete turn around and now he ignors other dogs as he knows if he goes for them then i will be going for him, he can now get with in 2 feet of another dog and will not even look over at the other dog so I hope that he will continue to improve
I am very proud of him he is a great working dog and shows a great deal of promise to go far. He is now even doing Cart work with confidence HURRAY. I will post new pictures of him soon.

Thanks for everyones help

bobbi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.