Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our GSP is a changed dog after using a new trainer. She uses the prong collar and an e-collar and our GSP is a perfect boy now. Our Rotti boy is now 4 months and the trainer says we can start training in another month. what are the thoughts of this method on a 5 month old pup ?? Our GSP never needs any of these training methods now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Never used them but as far as I've seen they can be a useful tool if used properly and responsibly.

Probably wouldn't use it if I didn't need to though, we seem to be doing ok without so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
I would wait till your pup is older, and put the work into training him without needing those tools now. They are tools...and I think taking some time to train without them benefits a pup. The problem with e-collars and prongs is that they become collar smart. The collar is on and they are perfect and listen....collar is off....and they could care less about you.

I used an e-collar on my male Rottie when we walked off leash in the fields....he would go after the deer...and I did not want him to end up miles away. His recall was always pretty good for everything else...except when the deer were around.

Keep working with your pup and give him some time to grow up....before you need to pull the big guns on him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts