Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dear friends and Rottweiler lovers,

Luke & Lana are twin Rottweilers 7 month old "puppies".

Luke -> male
Lana -> female

Rottweilers are dogs who get anxious and stressed without "expressing" it, but rather display it in other forms.

Luke & Lana live together on my gigantic roof terrace. One day, Lana wasn't feeling good and I had to urgently call up the vet and bring her to the vet's personal house at 1am. She has to spend the evening and full upcoming day at the vet's house for global checkup.
Luke stayed ALONE on the roof in their gigantic doghouse. (My family occasionally went to spend time with him and checking up on him)

All of a sudden, Luke started to have beginnings of Eczema on his neck and stomach.
Lana came back home, everyone was happy. However, the eczama was still present and slowly started propagating itself due to his non-stop scratching.

I brought him to the vet who suggested me to bring him in 3 times a week for an extensive shower, scrubbing off and trying to kill the eczema virus.
THANKFULLY, the eczema just barely touched Lana and disappeared.

After 3 weeks of bathing sessions with the vet, the eczema started to disappear. But as the vet had said, it can go for a short period of time, but WILL come back over time.

Luke's eczema was focused on his bottom neck and stomach. Yesterday, I noticed it starting to grow around the eyes and spots on his ears.

This is breaking my heart seeing such a handsome dog become spotted with ugly eczema.

I am sure I could go to a pharmacy and find an eczema ointment which could kill it off. However, the ointment is extremely toxic and full of chemicals which WILL be licked by both puppies. This could harm them even more.
I thought of putting the cone around dog's neck, to prevent them from licking off the ointment, during the period of time the eczema disappears.

I am lost and looking for suggestions from our rottweiler lovers who have had this issue beforehand and have resolved it.

My opinion is that Luke got this eczema from the stress of spending the night and day alone without Lana when she was at the vet's house.

Thank you very much for your help in helping me save this little fella of mine!!

Greetings to all of y'all

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
So sorry to hear about your dog. What country do you live in? There is no such thing as eczema in dogs. Is it mange mites? or is it a staph infection or yeast? Could it be flea bites, or scabies or lice? This sounds like it could be so many things. Please do some reading on 'littermate syndrome'. It is not healthy for your puppies to be together all of the time. They should be separated and learn to be individuals....very hard to raise two puppies at the same time and have them both turn out equal. One always seems to lose out. For now start separating them for a few hours per day. Take them out for walks alone, and do some training alone. They each have to learn to be individual dog...and they are not 'twins'...they are littermates.

What are you feeding? Do you have Revolution in your country? Do you use flea or heartworm prevention?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very sorry for the late response…

Thank you for your suggestions and support, big black dogs
We live in Casablanca, Morocco. I have taken a couple pictures to show you the eczema that has been molding on Luke’s skin. It cannot be flea bites, lice bites or anything of such, because Luke & Lana have spent their first 7 months on the gigantic roof (far from grass or anything of such kind) of our house in their very large doghouse and immensely spacious terrace. This was done to protect them from the various fatal diseases the Rottweilers receive. We have two other dogs in the house, one is a toy Yorkshire which lives inside the house with us, and a Malinois which is outside the house on the garden. We wanted to the give time for the Rots to mature and build a strong enough immune system to protect them from the diverse sicknesses, which could be deadly.
I will start reading about the “littermate syndrome” hoping to find solutions for Luke’s issue.
You must be right to separate the two from staying together all the time. This will make them learn how to be independent individuals.
When I said they were “twins”, what I mean is that they were born in the same carry by the same mother and father. We had purchased them from a friend who’s Rottweiler female had given birth to 9 different puppies. Choosing both a male and female to make them mate at the right age and get more baby Rottweilers. This is a subject we could discuss on a later post, but back to Luke’s eczema:

Luke & Lana only eat the ROYAL CANIN, PRO JUNIOR with the precise serving amount based on their weight.
There is no Revolution in Morocco (not applicable to this subject)
Luke and Lana have been vaccinated by all the available flea or heat worm preventions. I could get their “carnet de veterinaire” and give you the exact reference of each vaccine they have received.

We are thinking of continuing the bath sessions at the vet, which uses a special kind of soap, trying to kill the parasite which creates the Eczema. The vet had scrapped off a piece of the eczema and looked into the microscope, finding that the parasite has disappeared. She suggested we stop the baths.

Please give me some advice on how to remove this horrific eczema.
Thank you very much!!

P.S. I tried uploading many pictures of the eczema. It says only 5 per post.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog Eye Plant Human body Jaw Gesture Comfort Carnivore Liver Working animal Whiskers Head Dog Dog breed Human body Ear Fawn Wood Snout Tail Human leg

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think the "Revolution" BBD was referring to is here: (I hadn't heard of it either):
https://www.1800petmeds.com/Revolut...Ab77LXM3nD0gpjvVyeBM3BAsNSqDahx8aAj2qEALw_wcB

I am not a vet, but that looks like mange, scarcoptic mange.... just from pictures I have seen of it on the internet. Here a some links... You can do some searches and research it. In one article it says bathing the dogs in medical baths is not enough, you need to clean bedding.
Information on Sarcoptic Mange (Canine Scabies) in Dogs

Sarcoptic Mange In Your Dog "Scabies"

OK, so don't take this information to the bank....I could be wrong, but it looks like mange in the pictures and how the symptoms read in the descriptions on line. I don't know why your vet doesn't know this. Seems like a rudimentary problem.

OK - and now for the breeding situation. If you want to make a litter of puppies genetically inferior, go ahead and breed brother and sister. Inbreeding increases the chances of having puppies with birth defects that can be seen and birth defects that cannot be seen. I know certain professional breeders do this occasionally. I think it's sick and unethical for them as well. If you have been reading posts from various people in this forum you will see how most of us feel about breeding dogs who have not been X-rayed for clean hips and elbows. You sentence animals to a life of pain and misery. That's on you if you decide to. I think it's a bad choice.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
Revolution is a medication applied to the dogs skin once a month and is for the prevention of heartworm, fleas, and will kill mange mites,etc. I also agree that it is most likely mange that the pup has.

These pups have lived on a terrace and have missed a big window for socialization. They need to be going for walks and seeing the world...meeting and seeing people and doing things with their life. You cannot keep them in a bubble...it's cruel for a working breed to be locked away from the world...and dangerous. If they are not socialized, they will be terrified and scared...and that's when dogs bite.

Please do NOT even think of allowing your littermates to breed! Spay and neuter them...and start socializing them to the world. Inbreeding could produce deformed and crippled pups...and a lifetime of heartbreak. You need to do some reading and learn way more to meet your pups needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts