Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife and I rescued a 6 month old Rottie (piper) through a rescue organization. We only know she was from Tennessee. We now live in Philly. For the first 4 months she was the friendliest dog----my wife even ran a 5K with her with hundreds of other people and dogs.
Over the past 6 months she has become more protective and more aggressive. The first instance was a stranger bent over to pet her and she jumped up and head butted him and gave him a small puncture in his chin. We took her to the vet, and have been to several training classes since. She has since did her jump/snap a few times, never injuring anyone....but she does bark aggressively after jumping.
Now she is 18 months old and is getting worse. We no longer go to dog parks (we used to go all the time) for fear she will jump up or snap at the other owners. She is reactive to buses and skateboards. She is protective of certain food/toys and while she has never bit my wife or me she clearly protects it from us.
Complicating matters is that my wife is due with our first baby in October (yay!). Piper has been great with kids so far and has never shown any aggression to our young nephew or neighborhood kids.
We are going to see a behavioralist but several people have told me we are wasting our time----since we don't know the breeding history and she is getting worse despite training courses and our daily training than must be "bad breeding" and we should find her another home.
Others have said the pregnancy is the reason for the behavior change.
She is a loving dog with us and we would hate to give her away but we don't want to be stupid.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Have you contacted the rescue group regarding the issues you are having with her?

When you say you took her to the vet - what was it for? Did you have a full blood panel run, including thyroid? Were her eyes checked for cataracts (even young dogs can get them). Were physical injuries ruled out - hip or elbow dysplasia?

If any and all MEDICAL reasons have been ruled out, I'd find a behaviorist and have her evaluated. Make sure the rescue is aware of the issues you are having - if it turns out you are unable to keep her in your home, then the rescue should be the first point of contact in terms of removing her from the home...did you have an adoption contract?

Reactions: Sheera'smom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great advice.

She did have a full work-up/exam/blood panel----all normal.
We have a behaviorist appointment scheduled. We have not contacted the rescue agency yet but that is a great idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts