Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so Rayna is now 7mths next week. When we go for walks she has a very long stride, she’s just chill walking as our bully is on the hop ha ha. But my question is when can I let her off to run? We have a very large field at the park all fenced where ppl walk there dogs. A lot off leash and come to see our dogs. Rayna gets hella excited play bowing and jumping about as she wants to join in and go play. I’m wary to let her off leash incase her weight does her hips in. I’ve read it’s best to wait till after 10/12 mths before you should let them run is this correct?
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
you are her pack leader. Take the leash off and let her play. She will follow you when you call. Reward her when she comes back to you. She'll love to run and it's good to socialize her offleash. You are her whole world, so share some of yours. BTW, love the pix !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are her pack leader. Take the leash off and let her play. She will follow you when you call. Reward her when she comes back to you. She'll love to run and it's good to socialize her offleash. You are her whole world, so share some of yours. BTW, love the pix !
Aw thanks for replying. I was just worried it may damage her hips allowing her to run like a loonie before a certain age. I want to do everything right with/for her. She’s pretty good with recall,, especially if there’s treats involved lol no matter where she’s at if I call her she comes flying in to see me. Is there not a certain age I have to wait until she can be off leash running for her hips safety? Or was I given false information. I love posting pictures of her, she’s getting very tall and starting to fill out a bit now too 🥰

·
Registered
171 Posts
Aw thanks for replying. I was just worried it may damage her hips allowing her to run like a loonie before a certain age. I want to do everything right with/for her. She’s pretty good with recall,, especially if there’s treats involved lol no matter where she’s at if I call her she comes flying in to see me. Is there not a certain age I have to wait until she can be off leash running for her hips safety? Or was I given false information. I love posting pictures of her, she’s getting very tall and starting to fill out a bit now too 🥰
Off lead is fine
Ive had all mine off from 8weeks more than i had them on. All you have to be careful of at this stage is no forced exercise, jumping/on/off of things/from heights etc off lead they will go at there own pace and slow down when they need to. If her recalls good and you are doing it in safe places with well behaved dogs i cant see a problem

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off lead is fine
Ive had all mine off from 8weeks more than i had them on. All you have to be careful of at this stage is no forced exercise, jumping/on/off of things/from heights etc off lead they will go at there own pace and slow down when they need to. If her recalls good and you are doing it in safe places with well behaved dogs i cant see a problem
Thanks so much this is exactly the information I was needing. I’ll definitely let her off leash now in the park in the fenced field. I’m excited for her now! Thanks again 😃

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
She will be fine. Just don't let her overdo it. It's jogging or running beside a bike that is not recommended till the joints and ligaments are fully developed by 18 months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She will be fine. Just don't let her overdo it. It's jogging or running beside a bike that is not recommended till the joints and ligaments are fully developed by 18 months.
Thank you. No there’s none of that just letting her off leash on the field at the park. We’ve took her twice so far off leash and as it turns out her recall is better than our bulldogs!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts