Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zara will be 6 months this coming week. I have never had a dog who needs to chew as much as she does. And I have had a LOT of dogs in my life. So what were the best won't break the bank chews that your dogs loved as puppies? We have discovered Barkworthies, and she likes the collagen chews. I won't give rawhide. She gets one of the Whimzees a day as a dental chew and really likes those. I also got the Primal bones (the frozen kind) and one of those kept her busy for a while. Concerned with making sure she gets the right products for her size and age.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Rottweilers do like to chew!! :) Zara is teething and she really needs to chew and set those new teeth of hers. I still think good raw beef frozen bones are one of the best things for them to chew...but with caution. With young dogs, and pups...give them with supervision...and take some of the marrow out, or take away once you think they've had enough for one days chew...and pop back in the freezer to be eaten another day.

I also like dried beef ligaments...and dried puffed cow ears. Benebones are good chews...and come in different flavors...and no mess with them.

How's Zara's tummy now? Have things calmed down for her??

Reactions: Agis

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her tummy is much better. When I took her back for her giardia retest I thought she was still going to have it because she was still having tummy issues. But she tested negative. So we talked about food, and I told them I had switched her to Acana, and they said it's a really rich food and maybe she just has a sensitive stomach so try something that wasn't as rich. So I started researching and the very next day the diarrhea stopped. She was eating the Acana Lamb and Pumpkin, and when that bag was gone I got the Acana Duck and Pumpkin, and she had a couple episodes with the switch (she got a day of 50/50 mix, like they suggested when switching between their proteins) and then she was fine again. We have also decided she's a bit neurotic. She is definitely attached to me. She whines if she can't see me. And once I had to put her in her crate for a while in the afternoon because we had the front door open and were taking things in and out. She didn't like that. Fussed the whole time, and she usually does good in her crate. When I took her out when we were done she had diarrhea again. So I think she stresses easily and that's how her body responds. But for regular on the daily now she's doing fine. She was 37.2 pounds when I weighed her last week so she is still growing consistently too.

Are you familiar with Barthworthies or Whimzees? She likes both of those. The Primal bones I got are the raw ones that come frozen and have the marrow. She also likes those as well. She is supervised at all times when I give her something like that. I just don't want to "overfeed" her things like this either. But she needs to chew ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Her tummy is much better. When I took her back for her giardia retest I thought she was still going to have it because she was still having tummy issues. But she tested negative. So we talked about food, and I told them I had switched her to Acana, and they said it's a really rich food and maybe she just has a sensitive stomach so try something that wasn't as rich. So I started researching and the very next day the diarrhea stopped. She was eating the Acana Lamb and Pumpkin, and when that bag was gone I got the Acana Duck and Pumpkin, and she had a couple episodes with the switch (she got a day of 50/50 mix, like they suggested when switching between their proteins) and then she was fine again. We have also decided she's a bit neurotic. She is definitely attached to me. She whines if she can't see me. And once I had to put her in her crate for a while in the afternoon because we had the front door open and were taking things in and out. She didn't like that. Fussed the whole time, and she usually does good in her crate. When I took her out when we were done she had diarrhea again. So I think she stresses easily and that's how her body responds. But for regular on the daily now she's doing fine. She was 37.2 pounds when I weighed her last week so she is still growing consistently too.

Are you familiar with Barthworthies or Whimzees? She likes both of those. The Primal bones I got are the raw ones that come frozen and have the marrow. She also likes those as well. She is supervised at all times when I give her something like that. I just don't want to "overfeed" her things like this either. But she needs to chew ALL THE TIME.
Venison raw meaty bones, raw pigs trotters, raw turkey necks as well as beef. They are very nutritious. I would mix that up maybe one or two a week alongside chew toys if she consumes the bone. If consumed and not just chewed the bone content will naturally firm up her stool too👍🏻

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Venison raw meaty bones, raw pigs trotters, raw turkey necks as well as beef. They are very nutritious. I would mix that up maybe one or two a week alongside chew toys if she consumes the bone. If consumed and not just chewed the bone content will naturally firm up her stool too👍🏻
Thank you! One of the pet stores in the area has the frozen bones and those do seem to be her favorite so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Thank you! One of the pet stores in the area has the frozen bones and those do seem to be her favorite so far.
You can buy fresh bones in the meat department of most grocery stores...at half price of the pet food stores. I buy 2-3 at a time and freeze.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I buy my dogs the rubber nylabones. I’m not sure how your girl is about eating things but the thing I like about the rubber ones is that my two won’t try to eat them. They just chop on them and spit out the pieces as they go. Gives a great outlet for the chewing and no worry about them getting too many extra treats.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fresh bones are always a great treat. Where are you letting them chew them. My last deck was stained from them and wouldn't come clean. So no more bones for the boys.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
I taught mine to eat raw bones on top of an old bed sheet inside of the house. Throw bed sheet in the wash....and no greasy bone stains. Once the bone was cleaned up of meat and fat...I did allow them to eat on the floor or rug. If I gave them a bone outside...they would automatically try to burry them. Then try to dig them up a week or two later...all stinky and rotten!!! :eek:

Reactions: Dj86

·
Registered
94 Posts
I taught mine to eat raw bones on top of an old bed sheet inside of the house. Throw bed sheet in the wash....and no greasy bone stains. Once the bone was cleaned up of meat and fat...I did allow them to eat on the floor or rug. If I gave them a bone outside...they would automatically try to burry them. Then try to dig them up a week or two later...all stinky and rotten!!! :eek:
Oh god yes!!! I dont let mine eat outside for the exact same reason. No matter what dog ive had, every flipping one does the same!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Great idea, did it leak through the sheet ?? Did they stay on the sheet ?
I doubled up the sheet...so it was thicker...and the grease and smell stayed on the sheet. At the beginning they wanted to start wandering off the sheet with their bones...but I stayed in the same room and supervised...and would just say "ahh-ahh-ahh back on your sheet". If they decided to get off the sheet...the bone was popped into a plastic bag...and thrown into the freezer. End of fun! :)

Reactions: Camy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts