Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I just got a new pup. He was one of 2 of the last pups from the litter. He lived out on a beautiful property with his owners, parents, siblings and one other dog. I took him to the trainer today and she told me that he is very timid and fearful for his age. Socialization should be done by 13 weeks and he is 11 weeks. He is scared of everything and has terrible separation anxiety. We don’t know if it is because he wasn’t socialized early enough and this is something that we can get going soon enough or if it is a genetic temperament. Has anyone experienced this with a new pup or have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
Welcome to the forums! This is not the way to start with a Rottweiler pup. :( Is there any chance that you could return the pup?? You may be in for a long road of behavior problems in the future. He could turn around with lots of socialization (done slowly) and tons of training. The problem with a fearful pup is that they can turn into fearful biters...and that is not good with a 100+ lb Rottweiler.

What are your living conditions? Do you live in the city with lots of people? or in the country? Do you have children? Do you plan on taking this dog everywhere with you like to friends, family, BBQ's, etc.? Or are you home bodies that spend more time alone?

It could be genetics? It could be from lack of socialization. If it's genetics...you can only train them so far...and he could turn out to be a liability.:(

I've always found even dogs that were not socialized but have good nerves...recover quickly from being scared....and are curious. The separation anxiety is also a very bad sign.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums! This is not the way to start with a Rottweiler pup. :( Is there any chance that you could return the pup?? You may be in for a long road of behavior problems in the future. He could turn around with lots of socialization (done slowly) and tons of training. The problem with a fearful pup is that they can turn into fearful biters...and that is not good with a 100+ lb Rottweiler.

What are your living conditions? Do you live in the city with lots of people? or in the country? Do you have children? Do you plan on taking this dog everywhere with you like to friends, family, BBQ's, etc.? Or are you home bodies that spend more time alone?

It could be genetics? It could be from lack of socialization. If it's genetics...you can only train them so far...and he could turn out to be a liability.:(

I've always found even dogs that were not socialized but have good nerves...recover quickly from being scared....and are curious. The separation anxiety is also a very bad sign.
[/

Thank you so much for your response. This is exactly what the vet said.

Thank you for your response. We had a hard day yesterday. The pup, Dante, had some stomach problems. I spent hours pouring over forums and Rottweiler training information. This morning we started our socializing and observing him. I’m happy to say that he was a puppy all day. He responded well to the people he met without putting his ears down or tucking his nub. He played for a while with our neighbors dog, a 13 week pit and they had a blast. We know that we have so much to work on but the signs of fear and disassociation from yesterday were not present today. He was confident but still a puppy. He is currently asleep in his pen and hasn’t been showing his signs of separation anxiety like last night. Last night he has diarrhea and was not eating. Today he took treats and drank a lot of water but hasn’t had a full meal.
My husband and I live alone, no kids. We live against the mountains where we feel there is plenty of space where he can get out and exercise although we do not have a large private outdoor space of our own. We spend a lot of time together and at home and socialize regularly.
I reached out to Dante’s breeders to see if we could get phone numbers of the other adopters to compare experiences and stories and so possibly our trainer could talk to them to see if it is late socialization or genetic temperament. We haven’t heard back. I’m truly hoping that this guy has the nerves and heart to be a good dog. Today it felt like it. Tomorrow is always another day. I appreciate any advice for signs to look for or suggestions for socialization and separation anxiety.

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
Sorry to hear that your puppy has been having stomach problems. First thing you need to do is to get him to the vet with a fresh stool sample. He may have worms, or it could be just a change of food or water that is bothering his tummy? Has he had any vaccinations? At 11 weeks he should have had his second set of vaccinations already. First set us usually around 8 weeks and second set around 3 weeks later. Rottweilers are very prone to parvo...a disease that will kill a puppy quickly.

It does not sound like he has separation anxiety....more just being taken away from the other dogs and the only place that he has lived. It would be like being dropped off in Japan...not knowing the language or any familiar people. :(

What food are you planning on feeding? Sounds like he needs a chance to settle in and get to know you. Stick with a routine and schedule....dogs/pups like that. Are you crate training him? Start looking for a positive based puppy obedience class and get enrolled. It will be a good way for him to socialize around people and other dogs, and a good way for him to bond with you.
P.S. We love puppy pictures. Post some pictures when you get a chance.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has had his first round of shots and been dewormed. I think that we over “treated” him in an effort to get him out and about and reward his good behavior.
I am already enrolled with a trainer. She is the one that alerted me to his timid and fearful nature. Her reaction was similar to yours- consider surrendering him and trying to give him back or hope he snaps out of if and is just overworked from the big change.
Since that day we have introduced him (slowly) to a large variety of people and other pups and places. He is definitely coming around.
I have a vet appointment on Thursday but there is a local mobile vet that I am going to try to see sooner.
We are working on crate training and “pen” training. So he will have our house when we are home, his pen and crate when we are not home or cleaning and his crate for sleeping. It’s not easy! But I know how important it is. I’ll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it! The support means so much to us! We aren’t going to let this guy down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts