Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7yr old female rotty came down with IMHA/Evans Syndrome after being prescribed clindamycin for an infection in her cheek. She became severely anemic, lethargic and quit eating. We had to take her to the University of FL Animal Hospital as her condition was beyond our local vets capacity. After a few blood transfusions they were able to get her red blood count up to 22% but still could not get her platelet count up. She had also lost 15+ lbs in a month from this. She was put on the steroid Prednisone and a blood thinner Clopidogrel since her platelets were still down. We were told to increase her feed to build up her weight and strength and that the steroids would help her gain what she needs. Well, she is improving, not quite the tank she was, BUT we can't seem to get the weight gain going. From this ailment, her hind quarters are not as strong as they were and she has trouble getting up onto the bed (24" high) and her energy level is still decreased.

MY QUESTION TO ALL: While we have increased her feeding to twice a day (2 scoops of Rachel Ray Nutrish each feeding) and I add scrambled eggs with potatos in the morning feed, what else can I do to promote weight gain? I'm hoping with the weight gain her hind quarters will regain their strength as well.

If anyone has experience with this disease and treatment I would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thanks
April

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
I'm so sorry that you are going through this with your girl. I don't know much about this condition, but good nutrition is important for her to get healthy again. Rachel Ray Nutrish is poor quality food, that contains corn, soya and beet pulp and is very low in calories at 322 cal per cup. I would change to a much higher quality food ...that is meat based, and higher in calories. Good quality foods do not contain corn, soy, or have beet pulp. Fromm, Orijen, Acana, Earthborn Holistic, etc....would be on my list of foods. Try feeding her 3 times per day, add some plain yogurt, or sardines, cooked oatmeal, white rice, lean meat leftovers (chicken, beef). Eggs are great too, and you can always cook up some ground beef, and add that as a topper.

Let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Thanks for the info on the food - my vet didn't seem to feel Rachel Ray's was not a good product, I will look into the ones you suggested. We do give her meat left overs, rice and eggs but I will add sardines as well. Thanks again for the info and feedback, much appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sorry to hear your girl is going through this but glad she is getting over it. I have one suggestion to add to the food. Puppy food is higher in calories and will help put on weight.

My sister's dog had got out and was missing over a month. When they found her she was almost a skeleton with little hair and sores on her skin. She was having a hard time getting weight back one until she started adding some high quality puppy food to the bowl along with what she was already feeding her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you - I didn't even think about puppy food....that would be a quicker supplement until I can fully research the foods suggested by big black dogs!
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
WOW! Thanks for the info on the food - my vet didn't seem to feel Rachel Ray's was not a good product, I will look into the ones you suggested. We do give her meat left overs, rice and eggs but I will add sardines as well. Thanks again for the info and feedback, much appreciated!!!!
Sadly, most vets are not all that educated on pet foods. They either push the overpriced, poor quality food that they sell (Science Diet, Royal Canin, Medical,etc.) or they recommend low quality foods like Purina, Iams,etc. because they really do not know about much higher quality foods. Most of the high quality meat based foods are not sold at the large pet food stores like PetSmart...they are usually sold at smaller, boutique type of stores. You will also not find quality foods at grocery stores, or Walmart, etc. The high quality foods will cost more (meat costs more then a bag or corn)...but you will usually need to feed far less...then a food full of fillers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they are higher priced, but if feeding amount is less it balances out! I looked up the ones you listed, and found 3 that I am going to pursue. Thank you so much for the enlightenment on dog foods. I was surprised to find that Blue Buffalo wasn't on the top 29 listed dog foods, but Acana, Orijen and another one are tops on my list to try. I appreciate your knowledge and advice.
Thanks
April

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
Yes they are higher priced, but if feeding amount is less it balances out! I looked up the ones you listed, and found 3 that I am going to pursue. Thank you so much for the enlightenment on dog foods. I was surprised to find that Blue Buffalo wasn't on the top 29 listed dog foods, but Acana, Orijen and another one are tops on my list to try. I appreciate your knowledge and advice.
Thanks
April
Curious to know....what food have you been feeding your girl before she got sick? Did you have her vaccinated shortly before she got sick?? Poor nutrition, and over vaccinations can be a cause of IMHA. When you mentioned that she had an infection on her cheek, and then developed IMHA....I wonder if she already had a low immune system before getting sick.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She was a little german tank prior to getting sick. We also have 2 pit bull terriers, and she plays rough with the youngest male. It looked like the was bitten on the cheek, nothing dramatic that needed stitches. We applied triple antibiotic to the wound, ice packs and watched it. Then one day, her cheek was puffed up and the vet said she had a cyst in it. The antibiotic was for that. After 2 weeks the wound was healing fine, then about a week later, her feeding slowed, energy waned and she started hiding in the dark area behind the couch. She lost all of her bubbliness and desire to interact with anyone or other dogs. That's when we took her in. Her spleen was enlarged, red count low and platelets virtually gone. She's (all of the dogs) have been on Rachel Ray's for a year or more and I can't remember what before that, For a while I was making their food and not using store bought, but for 3 dogs that got very time consuming. She is perking up some this week, not the whirlwind she was, but getting a bounce back in her step. I'll start changing the food over this weekend and see what that does for her and the other two.
thanks again
April

1 - 9 of 9 Posts