Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Food driven snatches

713 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Rayna 
#1 ·
Hi all
Rayna is now 4 mths old and 19kg. She is extremely food driven and even after a full meal will sniff the whole floor kitchen and living room looking for crumbs. She is at puppy class right now with my fiancé. She’s doing well he said and she’s having a lot of fun running with the other pups, the only thing I’d like to ask right now is how do I get her to not snatch food? She is so driven by food she just can’t help herself trying to snatch it out of your hand. My son had half a fish finger left on his dinner tonight so I tried to offer it to her as a treat. I said ah nicely about 4 times as she was jumping forward trying to snatch it from me and caught my fingers twice and once knocked it out of my hand and tried to grab it off the floor, so I grabbed her scruff and pulled her back before she got it as I’m not allowing that crap. I told her sit wait which she did and again I said nicely and she tried to snatch it as soon as my hand got close 🤦‍♀️ so I said NO that’s not good. So I gave it to my bull dog who was sat well next to me the whole time hoping to get a sniff in. Then I walked away and Rayna followed and I just ignored her and she got nothing. She will sit and wait when it’s food time, she won’t get it unless I say ok take. Once recently though she ran in and was grabbing mouthfuls before I come round the baby gate. So I said hey back off. She stopped and waited and I said good girl now take. She literally eats like she’s starving. She gets a good brand of food with the first ingredient being meat and she gets a full scoop in the morning one at lunch and 2 scoops at dinner to take her through to morning. The brand she’s on recommends 4 scoops a day split over the amount of meals she has a day. Anyway are all rotties extremely food driven like this? I’m training her to leave it as I hold a treat in front of her and then nicely and she mostly takes it with her front teeth and I know she’s trying so she gets praise for that. But god she almost took my fingers with the fish finger twice before it really hurt! Any tips or just carry on with the ‘nicely’ and wait training? Thanks guys 😊

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.