Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
It depends on the age, your budget and your dogs activity level. I have always tried to feed a dog food that is meat based...meaning at least the first 1-3 ingredients are meat...and the dog food does not contain..corn, wheat, maize, soy, or by-product meals. The better the quality of the food, the less you need to feed, and the less that comes out the other end. I've had very healthy dogs through the years...and would rather spend my money on high quality food...then pay the vet. Feeding a good food you avoid skin conditions, allergies, ear infections and the dog smells better.

As for food...? My last 2 Rotties were fed Orijen (all different flavors) and Acana Regionals (all different flavors) as well as some raw when I could get meat at a reasonable price, as well as slow cooker toppers (when I cleaned out the freezer), and fresh food such as eggs, fruits and veggies, sardines, yogurt,etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Orijen and Acana are top quality dry foods, we went for one just a short price step below that and that was based in the UK (so more local). As BBD mentions a good dry food with meat as the primary ingredient is a good option.

Raw was too much work (maintaining a balanced diet) for us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I added some ground whole Tilapia to my 4 month olds raw food. I am getting worried about the bones. Think it will be ok?

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
If the Tilapia was ground...there should be no problems. I worry more about feeding raw fish...then bones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the Tilapia was ground...there should be no problems. I worry more about feeding raw fish...then bones.
It was frozen but I’m kinda worried about it too. I think with her next week food I will omit the raw fish cause I don’t want to take the chance. It’s not worth the stress.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
One thing about feeding raw that is still frozen....it may come back up awhile later...lol For some reason, especially pups, try to bring the raw meat up to room temperature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts