Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
It depends on the age, your budget and your dogs activity level. I have always tried to feed a dog food that is meat based...meaning at least the first 1-3 ingredients are meat...and the dog food does not contain..corn, wheat, maize, soy, or by-product meals. The better the quality of the food, the less you need to feed, and the less that comes out the other end. I've had very healthy dogs through the years...and would rather spend my money on high quality food...then pay the vet. Feeding a good food you avoid skin conditions, allergies, ear infections and the dog smells better.

As for food...? My last 2 Rotties were fed Orijen (all different flavors) and Acana Regionals (all different flavors) as well as some raw when I could get meat at a reasonable price, as well as slow cooker toppers (when I cleaned out the freezer), and fresh food such as eggs, fruits and veggies, sardines, yogurt,etc.

Reactions: Dj86

·
Registered
69 Posts
Orijen and Acana are top quality dry foods, we went for one just a short price step below that and that was based in the UK (so more local). As BBD mentions a good dry food with meat as the primary ingredient is a good option.

Raw was too much work (maintaining a balanced diet) for us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I added some ground whole Tilapia to my 4 month olds raw food. I am getting worried about the bones. Think it will be ok?

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
If the Tilapia was ground...there should be no problems. I worry more about feeding raw fish...then bones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the Tilapia was ground...there should be no problems. I worry more about feeding raw fish...then bones.
It was frozen but I’m kinda worried about it too. I think with her next week food I will omit the raw fish cause I don’t want to take the chance. It’s not worth the stress.

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
One thing about feeding raw that is still frozen....it may come back up awhile later...lol For some reason, especially pups, try to bring the raw meat up to room temperature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can bake eggshells and grind them to fine powders and use 1 teaspoon of the powder for each meal. Huge calcium for the bones and their development. Or also use dog joint supplements like this which contain the same nutrients.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One thing about feeding raw that is still frozen....it may come back up awhile later...lol For some reason, especially pups, try to bring the raw meat up to room temperature.
Yea I would not feed frozen food to then. They need to be able to chew and get the right size swallows. Partially frozen is ok. Room temp is best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feed a complete raw diet for my pup. Its all minced and nutritiently balanced out in 1kg tubs so nice and easy. I have tried dry food, especially at the beginning but Ralph (puppy) just doesnt seem to like it. But i 2nd the above, that if feeding dry, get the best you can afford and higher grade meat based

·
Registered
37 Posts
I feed a complete raw diet for my pup. Its all minced and nutritiently balanced out in 1kg tubs so nice and easy. I have tried dry food, especially at the beginning but Ralph (puppy) just doesnt seem to like it. But i 2nd the above, that if feeding dry, get the best you can afford and higher grade meat based
I’m curious I have my own opinion based on my experience with “ natural” food but do most folks think kibble is the easiest and cheapest way to feed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m curious I have my own opinion based on my experience with “ natural” food but do most folks think kibble is the easiest and cheapest way to feed.
Probably is the easiest yes. Also you dont have to worry about storage/defrosting and sell by dates. Unless you have time to dedicate to a raw homemade diet sourcing the best value meat, prepping ahead meals for the month, making sure its nutriently balanced which is vital, especially for pups then raw homemade will be hard work. (I have dome this but its alot of effort) Or you could get premade meals like i do currently and mine is complete, balanced and ground in 1kg tubs so i just defrost and throw it in his bowl. Its what works best for you

·
Registered
37 Posts
What really is amazing is the assumption that processed dog food is balanced? How do you know. We assume, but has anyone have third party testing that verifies this? I’m just asking. I feed my dog the food I eat generally. Chicken little beef vegetables and organs. I mix it up. I don’t find it too hard. But that’s me. Most people are fat and most people have fat dogs🤣🤣🤣.
On the same note, why would some people pay thousands for dogs and feed it shit food using the excuse because it’s easier or simple to implement. That’s like buying a BMW or Mercedes and putting valvoline or Quaker state oil in the engine just to save a buck.

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
There are many different dry dog foods ...some are complete junk (Pedigree, Science Diet, Royal Canin,etc.) and some are meat based and higher quality. Here's an example of a good, meat based kibble https://acana.com/en-US/acana-wholesome_grains.html

Dog food companies use nutritionist to formulate their dog foods. If the bag says "complete and balanced"...then it's safe to say it is. It does not mean the food is good, or high quality. It means that it has all of the protein (does not matter what kind of protein), minerals and vitamins to keep a dog alive.

As someone that boards dogs....I have often had owner's drop off their dogs with a big bag of Pedigree or Ol'Roy...and drive away with their Mercedes SUV. Some have no idea what they are feeding their dog is junk...and some just don't think it's worth paying big bucks for dog food. I usually try to steer them to a better quality dog food. Those dogs have multiple huge piles of poo:poop: each day...and need to eat tons more food...and usually have a stink to them. :rolleyes:

Not all dogs do well on raw...and there is more to feeding raw then throwing the dog a chicken leg each day (which I've seen)....some do better on a cooked diet, and some do great on a high quality kibble diet with some fresh food enhancements.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That’s all correct but it’s funny as hell. Kibble with regard to boarding dogs makes sense. I don’t know why folks pump themselves up by buying into something and yet are so low brow on the day to day shit. I still contend kibble is still kibble. You are correct in your points but it’s not as difficult as most assume. What’s difficult: having bad eating habits yourself, the owner, and being then compelled to provide a well balanced diet to your animal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts