Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

The pads on Apollos feet are very dry looking. It doesn't seem to bother him, is this normal? Should I be putting something on them?</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The pads need to tough'n up for when he gets bigger.Hes going to do alot of walking on them feet and soft pads wont protect him from the stuff he steps on.

Donna

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hear, hear! Yeah they are gonna need to be tough or he won't wanna be walking anywhere on them. Remember he won't be wearing shoes like we do!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I had a dog that used to wear boots, a hat, and a sweater in the winter and he loved it!
I was just worried that if Apollo's feet got too dry they might crack and become painful. And no, Apollo won't be wearing boots, LOL!
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a similar question. Creasey has very rough pads. When you touch them you can feel a ton of little pieces sticking up. I was thinking about using some sort of salve to help. Maybe Bag Balm or something? Any suggestions? She's limping and noone knows why, not even the vet. Maybe it's bothering her??? All I know is the it's killing me to watch it.
She usually limps after lying down for a while and yet she runs and plays just fine.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
does she walk on alot of cement ?

Cement will do that ......

i would use bag baum ......

i would also put white socks on her .... and check them after

she does what ever she does ... you might find whats bothering

her .... easier to see on a white sock then the bottom of her foot

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
For the pads you can put balm on them but do it at night before bed so she is not walking around with it on her feet.

for the limping,she is still growing,it could be just her growing.

Have you added Vit-C to her diet?

Get the Ester -C.You can give it three times a day or twice a day.We give 1000mg but you can do 500mg.

can be purchased from Wal-mart.

Ester-C® is a buffered form of Vitamin C that is "body ready" and 4 times more available to the tissues than ordinary Vitamin C, which is highly acidic. In Ester C®, the acid is buffered with calcium and processed to contain threonate, a metabolite which dramatically enhances absorption.
<H2>Ester-C dog </H2>

usage is increasingly proving beneficial. Although animals can manufacture Vitamin C in their bodies under ordinary conditions, stresses such as heavy exercise, injuries or respiratory problems increase the demand for Ester-C in dogs. An important component of collagen or connective tissue, Ester C® functions as a chondroprotective, anti-inflammatory and immunoresponsive substance.

Vitamin C has non nutritional properties in higher dosages. For example, the anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties of large doses of Vitamin C are widely recognized. A growing body of anecdotal evidence is accumulating from veterinary practitioners who have begun recommending Ester C vitamin ascorbates in place of ordinary ascorbates to achieve these effects.

Many veterinarians and pet owners have turned to Ester C® calcium ascorbate because it is a gentle way of administering Vitamin C to dogs and horses without gastrointestinal upset. Because they have found that Ester C® ascorbate is gentler in the stomachs of animals, it could be given at the higher doses necessary to achieve desired non nutritional actions.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I will definitely be getting her some Ester-C and also some condroiton for her joints. Our vet said that we had to do a series of x-rays while she is under anestesia to diagnose anything. He examined her leg for about a minute (never looked at the pads or toes mind you). It's exensive and we don't want to jump the gun if it's something that will cure itself. It's not the we wouldn't do whatever she needed, but I am so protective that I take her to the vet a lot and most of the time she was fine! This has been going on for three weeks now.

I just saw a thread on Pano and it sounds like her! For a few weeks she's been limping after getting up from lying down. She is still running and playing, but I can definitely see a difference in the way she runs. It's slight, but it's there. For a while we had a hard time figuring out which leg it was because she seemed to limp ona different foreleg every time we looked. What do you think? Any experience with it?

Sorry about the rambling...I'm just not sure what to do next. Thanks in advance. Melanie

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
it could be from running and playing too hard.She could be sore in the muscles and the Vit-C will help if thats what it is.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks for that info Donna.

Melanie, Sadie does the same thing. I've had her checked and xrayed and nothing is out of the ordinary. She'll be fine then after a bit of running around she'll limp a bit. She'll do it after lying down for a bit. I am going to try that Ester-C and see if that helps. I am hoping it's just growing pains. I will also give her a good rub down that seems to help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on her and get the Vit-C and condroiton today. I'm glad she's not the only one.
Here's a hug from Creasey and her mommy! Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Hey Donna ....

she said that the pads were all ruff ..... i found that .... and was told

because of cement ....

i know what cement does to skin ..... wouldnt a pad be the same ???

i just put indoor outdoor carpeting over the cement anyways .....

couldnt really remove it ALL ......

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Mel, give her some Salmon oil also everyday for her joints . Mine get it on their food everyday .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts