Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From GSD to Rotties

I've been interested in rottweilers for awhile but we ended up getting German Shepherds because my grew up with them in Germany. I for one have always hated the daily shedding but love the breed itself. The breed is naturally protective of our household yet friendly while in public. From my understanding Rottweilers are similar. Something I've always wondered is what is the normal necessary grooming routine of a rottweiler. A weird concern I know, but I spend appx $100 per week on grooming for my shepherds and about 2hrs every 3 days on maintenance. How is it for rottweiler owners when it comes to grooming? Daily, weekly, monthly, etc?

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Welcome to the forums! They call them "German Shedders" for reason...LOL I love both breeds....but find the Rottweiler breed easier to live with. Rottweilers do shed...but nothing compared to a GS. You don't need to take them anywhere to be groomed. Usually once a week brushing ( I use an undercoat rake)….and during heavier shedding times Spring/Fall....maybe twice per week brushing? Nails, once a week, or every couple of weeks...things that should be started young. If you feed good quality food, brush once a week...a couple of baths a year are more than enough. I usually bath my girl in the spring and fall...during the heavier shed. A warm water shampooing seems to loosen the extra coat out faster. I spend 5 minutes once a week to brush....and another 10 minutes once a week do trim nails, brush teeth, and check ears.

Rottweilers are protective....but are more "wait and see"...to bark or react. GS will bark if a leaf flies by....Rottweilers will bark when needed. Both breeds have their health problems...GS allergies and sensitive stomachs ….Rottweilers seems to have tougher stomachs and are easy keepers. Both breeds need training and leadership. If you buy from an ethical breeder, that tests breeding dogs for hips, elbows, eyes and heart....all verified certs on OFA it will make a difference in what you end up with. Both in health and temperament.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums! They call them "German Shedders" for reason...LOL I love both breeds....but find the Rottweiler breed easier to live with. Rottweilers do shed...but nothing compared to a GS. You don't need to take them anywhere to be groomed. Usually once a week brushing ( I use an undercoat rake)….and during heavier shedding times Spring/Fall....maybe twice per week brushing? Nails, once a week, or every couple of weeks...things that should be started young. If you feed good quality food, brush once a week...a couple of baths a year are more than enough. I usually bath my girl in the spring and fall...during the heavier shed. A warm water shampooing seems to loosen the extra coat out faster. I spend 5 minutes once a week to brush....and another 10 minutes once a week do trim nails, brush teeth, and check ears.

Rottweilers are protective....but are more "wait and see"...to bark or react. GS will bark if a leaf flies by....Rottweilers will bark when needed. Both breeds have their health problems...GS allergies and sensitive stomachs ….Rottweilers seems to have tougher stomachs and are easy keepers. Both breeds need training and leadership. If you buy from an ethical breeder, that tests breeding dogs for hips, elbows, eyes and heart....all verified certs on OFA it will make a difference in what you end up with. Both in health and temperament.
I like the "wait and see" comment. My shepherds do bark alot but I pay attention to their ears and posture. That lets me know if they mean business or are just making noise. As for grooming, I miss having dogs to lay/sit with. I usually dont let my shepherds near me unless they just came back from a pro groomer. Just a simple brush against my leg and another dog appears. Kind of tired of it.

Currently I'm looking for a breeder near me in Colorado that allows visits. Also have been looking for rottweiler shows near me but none so far. Any way I can spend near the breed to learn more by watching and asking knowledgable owners is the path I'm trying to take. Although, my main concern is grooming. Dont want to have to spend tons of time brushing and tons of money on pro grooming.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hello! Welcome! And thank you for your service! :)

Ditto what BBD said:)

Freyja is my fourth Rottweiler. She is a bigger shedder than the three males were - she is also my first Rottweiler after a nine year Rottweiler hiatus (I lost all three of my males to cancer), so much may have to do with breeding. Still-in-all, I only use a shedding mitt on her 2-3 times weekly, unless she sits beside me and give me the look, lol. Generally I fill the shedding mitt and that’s it, unless she is shedding winter hair in the spring:)

Another yes to Rottweilers are a “walk silent and carry a big stick” kinda dog. All of mine have been and Freyja is no exception. My Catahoula/Pit Bull sounds the alarm practically at butterflies. Freyja will stand behind him, on alert, assessing the situation. She won’t bark unless she sees a real need.

We live on a farm, on a one lane road. The entire front edge of our yard is covered in trees and bushes. If Freyja sees or hears someone walking or running on our road, she will quietly follow them (in our yard) with her head on alert, watching through the bramble. I tell her to “leave it, it’s ok”, and she does. She has been to Obedience 101 and I can’t say enough about Rottweilers needing proper/formal training, at least first level.

You are used to GSD’s in terms of intelligence and training, the same applies to Rottweilers. They are also very strong willed and will easily assume the alpha role in the home if a human doesn’t have a strong (and fair) grip on that roll:).

They all interacted well with my horses. One of my senior horses colicked in the spring. Freyja gently nudged his back leg with her nose while DH was walking him — seeming to understand the horse needed to keep moving:). She is2-1/2 and had only been here six or so months, so I thought that was pretty phenomenal on her part:)

My three males also had a great sense of humor. Freyja is getting there. She was rehomed to me and came from I can see was a very strict environment. She is a very regimented dog by nature. She has been with us 11 months and is realizing it’s ok to be funny and it’s ok to make a mistake unless it involves the cat or shredding chair throws:)

I hope this is helpful:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts