Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took out new Rotti pup Moose to the vets yesterday and wanted to share what our vet informed us of. The article was on grain free diets and heart disease. It was published by the FDA. It stated that there is a link to the risk of serious heart disease while eating grain free food. For more info go to the FDA website www.fda.gov/home and search "grain free dog" Please let me know your thoughts on this article. By the way Moose had a great appointment and is very healthy. It was his first with our vet.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
This is old news and has been disputed. It seems that the big dog food companies were losing business to the smaller companies....Purina, Royal Canin and had the vets from these companies on this panel. It was never proven, and studies are still being done almost 5 years later. There are some breeds that do have heart problems DCM that can be caused by lack of taurine caused by foods that contain legumes and peas. Dobermans and Goldens and Newfies have this genetic problem and it can be progressed by diet.

If you are worried....Acana makes a grain inclusive food now : ACANA® Wholesome Grains: Best Grain Inclusive Dog Food | ACANA® USA
I would also try the Acana Limited Ingredient foods. Orijen/Acana are meat based foods.....Purina, Royal Canin etc. are grain based food (meaning the food is mainly made up of carbs).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, we just ordered the Acana grain-inclusive (but haven't opened the bag yet). It's available at Pet Valu I believe, and if there are Global Pet Foods in your neck of the woods, we got ours through them. It wasn't one our local carried, but because Acana is a brand they carry, they special ordered it for us.

I wasn't super fussed, but Xerxes has a heart murmur that doesn't need treatment but our vet is concerned about putting him under (say teeth) without an ultrasound first...of course, Luc (GSD) had a heart murmur and some sort of prolapse or something (he had the ultrasound done at 15) and he lived to 15.5 years (and was hugely active), which is a ripe old age for a GSD, and he'd been fed grain-free for almost the entire 11.5 years I had him.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to say thanks very much for the information on grain free food. I also have to say wholly shit for the misinformation !!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
The problem with grain free foods is that not all are created equal. Purina even got on the bandwagon when they saw business slipping away. Many companies just substituted cheap peas, lentils to up the protein in their pet foods...and then claimed 'grain free'...while it still contained very little meat...and tons of carbs. You cannot go wrong with Orijen/Acana made by Champion . They are a Canadian company using Canadian sourced meat and ingredients...and now have built a factory in Kentucky as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Grains are a natural part of the dogs diet. There is absolutely no reason to feed a grain free food unless your dog has an allergy. “Wild dog cousins” (aka wolves and other canines) get a variety of grains, fruits (berries etc) and veggies through the animals they consume and the things they forage. There is no reason to go grain free unless your vet recommends it. It is in no way healthier diet and is limiting an essential component of nutrition. Also there has been a link established between grain free and heart disease in other giant breeds including mastiff’s, pressa Canarios, French mastiff’s etc. Giant breeds (aka 100#s plus) Seem to be the most affected. As a precaution, since there are no benefits to grain free unless an allergy is present, just feed a food with grain.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Raw fed dogs seems to do fine without any grains in their diets. It depends on the grains, and the quality of the food. Some of the cheap foods (Pedigree, Iams, Purina ,etc.) use the grains to up the amount of protein in their foods. Grains (wheat, corn, soy, rice, barley ) are way cheaper to add to a dog food then meat, or eggs or fish. Some foods are 75% grains (carbs)...that is not a good food to feed.

There are many top quality foods...some are grain free, and some have grains. Not all dogs do well on a diet of wheat,or corn or soy in their diet. There has been no link that I know that has been established between grain free and heart disease. There was never a study...just a very small survey...and everyone ran with it...especially the big dog food companies that did not like the smaller companies cutting into some of their business. All of the breeds you mentioned suffer from DCM or SAS genetically....it's not caused by diet. That's why good breeders do heart screening by a cardiologist vet before using their dogs for breeding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts