Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Rottie had really long nails which we could not cut with Dremel, clippers or files because he wouldn't let us. The vets wanted to use general anesthesia each time because "of the way he looked at them." Recently he began limping due to arthritis in his front 'wrist' on the right side so we bought him a splinted brace on Amazon. When he wore the splint, he dragged the nails on that leg on the ground. In a couple of weeks, he had worn them down to a normal dog's length. As an experiment, we put the splint on his left/ good side. He does the same thing with this side! His the nails on the left front are now wearing nicely. No pain for him, no drama for either of us, and super affordable and easy!! I highly recommend this approach.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our Rottie had really long nails which we could not cut with Dremel, clippers or files because he wouldn't let us. The vets wanted to use general anesthesia each time because "of the way he looked at them." Recently he began limping due to arthritis in his front 'wrist' on the right side so we bought him a splinted brace on Amazon. When he wore the splint, he dragged the nails on that leg on the ground. In a couple of weeks, he had worn them down to a normal dog's length. As an experiment, we put the splint on his left/ good side. He does the same thing with this side! His the nails on the left front are now wearing nicely. No pain for him, no drama for either of us, and super affordable and easy!! I highly recommend this approach.
The brace we used is at the link below. We chose it because it has the metal supports in the sides. If you get it, be aware the metal strips eventually work their way out of the bottom of the pocket in which they are enclosed. However, that took many weeks to happen. I would reinforce that area with duct tape or cloth if you buy them. As f/u, we tried this brace on a back leg but it slipped off. We just ordered a rear brace, but it hasn't arrived yet. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts