Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Marylou has provided excellent advice. This is not behavior that you should ignore, and you need to do something immediately. That being said - not all behaviorists are equal. Ask your vet if he/she can recommend a veterinary behaviorist. (A veterinarian who has studied extra about behavior). If no recommendation, check with rottie clubs, other dog clubs in the area.

If you do not feel comfortable with what the behaviorist advises, find someone else. Unfortunately, dog behavior is a gray area partially filled with many people that think 'their way' is the only answer.

In the meantime, your child and dog should not be together, period. Dogs move too quickly to be able to prevent an accident.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
No, it is not rebellion in the sense that humans act rebellious. And at 4.5 years old, I doubt Creasey is rebelling in any way. She is behaving the way she thinks she should behave, because she hasn't been taught anything different. Your dog is not listening to you probably because she doesn't see you as her leader, and she doesn't think there is a good reason to listen. (This is not to say that you need to start using harsh measures to exert your dominance.)

I have to say that I developed a high degree of anxiety while reading your post. Although your dog has changed some behaviors, you have not indicated that you are doing any training, or that you have contacted a trainer or an animal behaviorist. You say they have little contact, yet the dog (who not too long ago snapped at your baby's face) was licking the baby's face. The fact that the dog is listening to you less is a very, VERY serious problem.

I am afraid for your child.</span> Your dog needs to be evaluated by a behaviorist; a definite training program - which should include daily training sessions - needs to be established. Part of this training will include working to have your dog safely in the same environment as your child. But this is best done under the supervision and guidance of a behaviorist. Training means constant repetition until the command is practically hard coded, and the dog responds automatically. This can mean as many as hundreds and thousands of repetitions until this is achieved. That is why you do it daily.

Your dog requires almost as much care and attention as a human child. And when you cannot provide that attention, Creasey needs to be put somewhere (crate) that is safe for her and others.

My fear, is that if you do not get your dog evaluated, and establish a program to improve your dogs obedience, the worst will happen. Your dog will do serious harm to your child, and the dog will lose her life because of it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am sorry you feel threatened, however that is not what I read in Marylou's post. She just stated facts - unpleasant though they may be. I will repeat what many have said - you have been given very good advice, and it has been delivered in a respectful manner. I believe if you take your situation to some other rottweiler forums, you will not be treated as respectfully.

All advice has been given to protect your child and still allow you to keep Creasey.

Many animals recognize 'babies' of all other species, and they will not attack them. That is why we often read stories of one mammal species adopting a newborn of another species. But Creasey doesn't seem to understand your baby.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you were going to contact your vet. What advice did you get? I sincerely wish you the best in solving this problem. Regardless of your previous post, I hope you will return to this forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts