Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocky is 7 months old, and if my scale is right he's about 74 pounds..what do you think his mature weight will be? just wondering your opinions..thanks everyone!
here's a pic of him (7 months exactly) and my beautiful wife

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jared, That is a lovely picture of your wife and Rocky. I would think he should mature at about 110. How tall is he now? How big was his dad? That's a good way to gauge what he should be as an adult.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Moose was 26 inches when we got him at 16 months old and grew to 28 inches. He weighed 104 and now weighs about 125.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whew Moose is a big boy! he is at about 24" at the shoulders right now, and his dad was around 130 pounds!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Rocky is a nice size for 7 months. He's going to be a big boy too when he grows up.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
jared, you do have a lovely wife! Rocky is a very nice looking lad. He looks like he's going to be a big boy! Males usually weigh around 110 to 120 lbs. You always want to see a waist line in a Rott when you stand over him. If you don't they are over weight. How much do you feed him? And do you feed him twice a day....in the morning and night?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jared, you do have a lovely wife! Rocky is a very nice looking lad. He looks like he's going to be a big boy! Males usually weigh around 110 to 120 lbs. You always want to see a waist line in a Rott when you stand over him. If you don't they are over weight. How much do you feed him? And do you feed him twice a day....in the morning and night?
thank you kitty, i feed him 3 cups in the morning, and 3 cups in the evening

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
jared, he's at the age now that you should only be feeding him 2 cups at each feeding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awesome thansks serb dude..and kitty, where do you get your feeding information if you don't mind me asking? i feed him Chicken Soup Large Breed Puppy, and the bag recommends 6 1/4 - 7 2/3 cups per day for his age and weight (which i know is just a recommendation based on averages, but other rottweiler sites i study recommend anywhere from 4 to 6 1/4 cups per day..but in summary, i can still feel his ribs easily, and his waist is clearly visible and is hour glass shaped

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jared, I looked and it has 337 calories per cup. That's why you need to feed more of it. Rocky looks good to me.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I agree that he needs more food if you feel he needs it to keep a healthy weight. I have watched Moose go from needing a lot of food to currently 3 cups a day of Wellness Super5Mix that has about 360 calories per cup with no more cooked chicken or oatmeal. He doesn't need alot of food anymore. The puppy is getting 3 cups of 430 calorie per cup California Natural lamb and rice. She is a good weight. I will adjust it as her body shows me I should up it or lower the amount.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jared, What I mean is some people can eat a lot of food and not gain weight while others seem to just look at food and gain weight. Each dog is different. It's hard to gauge what they need except by how they look in my opinion.

·
Registered
464 Posts
He's a big, beautiful lad! I agree with Martha. Alfie will eat anything put in front of him, he is a greedy so and so and we watch him like a hawk to make sure he's not putting too much weight on. Your Rocky looks nice and healthy though..:eek:

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I look and feel my rotties ribs almost everyday. It's easy to see when our dogs are too thin but we often overlook if they are getting a little too heavy. I believe we need to be aware and that way they will grow and prosper and not become an overweight rottie which can happen very easily. I was looking at Moose closely last night and I can feel his ribs but his head is getting very broad so he looks heavier but he really isn't.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I totally agree with Martha, you just have to look and feel your own dog. I am very, very careful to no let Chevy get overweight, as I let my Savannahgirl get really fat.

So almost on a daily basis I look at him and feel his ribs, etc. (he has a nice waistline, so I just make sure it stays that way. BTW Jared Rocky seems to look a lot like Chevy did when he was about 15 months old (we rescued him at that age). Anyway, he was much taller and longer than Savannah was, and he goes between 119 and 122, so I would guess Rocky will also hover in the 120's.

He's beautiful - very loving face :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts