Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunny is a model citizen at home with regards to wife and I and has never shown aggression to company. I took him to the vet about 3 months ago and things going well the vet and his young female assistant was in the room.
I was sitting in the chair opposite side of room with the girl scratching and patting his head and he went off on her. Growled and snapped at her and I yelled “Here” and he quickly came over and sat next to me and I gave him a treat. The vet said “That's great you reward your dog for going after my tech, I said No, I rewarded him for obeying my command.
Fast forward today, trip to the vet for annual checkup and the vet walks in and says “ we are going to have to muzzle him after the last incident and may have to sedate him. I said no sedation so he said you will have to put the muzzle on if he will let you. Gunny let me put it on , didn’t even fight , didn’t like it but didn’t freak out.
Vet comes in with tech , I am holding and petting Gunny while the give shots, pull his front leg and draw blood , no incidents. Vet gets down and listens to his heart no problem, starts looking at Gunnys ears, looks at one side and reaches over to pul on his other ear and Gunny went off on him.

I have to put ear drops in Gunnys ears every few months and I wonder if them (the tech the first time and the bet this time ) touching his ears has anything to do with it.

This same vet owns a huge boarding kennel that we have used for years even multiple times with Gunny . So after the first incident I was really freaked out and called down to the kennel and asked the Mgr (a young lady ) if Gunny has ever gotten ugly with any of the staff and they all said no that Rowdy was extremely dog aggressive but neither were people aggressive.???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went back to the clinic today after this mornings incident and the vet just happened to be pulling up in his truck. I tried to ask him about my theory with Gunnys ears and he said this isn’t about making excuses for your dog, “it’s the breed “ , we deal with it all the time, I just dont want anybody getting hurt so I would prefer if you muzzle him before you bring him in.

I have been going to this same vet for 15 yrs and he has always been arrogant but with all my other pets he grins at them, pets them and with Gunny from day one has been like he is handling a rattlesnake.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure I like the sound of your vet really!

I probably wouldn't have gave the treat so close to the incident but other than that it would be nice to think your vet would help manage the situation rather than simply blame the breed and be done.

Muzzle sounds like a very sensible approach from now on anyway. Better safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
1,366 Posts
Gunny is now a mature Rottweiler, and often letting people know he does not want strangers to touch him. I see nothing wrong with Gunny needing to wear a muzzle while being examined. His behavior could be because you were in the room?...this often makes them more protective. Some Rottweilers do better taken to the back of the vet clinic and having procedures done to them, away from their owners. All of the Rottweilers I have had through the years (except Bruno) were not great at the vet....it's nothing to do with training. This is a breed that is protective, and it's just safer to have them muzzled.

If Gunny were my dog, I would leave that vet clinic and find a "Fear Free" trained vet hospital. Gunny may still need to be muzzled...but they should not be blaming you, or the breed...they should be learning how to work with a dog that is fearful or protective. For sure do not allow them to sedate him for a simple procedure!! Is this the same vet that wanted to charge you thousands of dollars for the elbows???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gunny is now a mature Rottweiler, and often letting people know he does not want strangers to touch him. I see nothing wrong with Gunny needing to wear a muzzle while being examined. His behavior could be because you were in the room?...this often makes them more protective. Some Rottweilers do better taken to the back of the vet clinic and having procedures done to them, away from their owners. All of the Rottweilers I have had through the years (except Bruno) were not great at the vet....it's nothing to do with training. This is a breed that is protective, and it's just safer to have them muzzled.

If Gunny were my dog, I would leave that vet clinic and find a "Fear Free" trained vet hospital. Gunny may still need to be muzzled...but they should not be blaming you, or the breed...they should be learning how to work with a dog that is fearful or protective. For sure do not allow them to sedate him for a simple procedure!! Is this the same vet that wanted to charge you thousands of dollars for the elbows???
I did not catch the age of your dog but I would not let anyone pet my dog. She very friendly and engaging but I tell people not to engage and let her do her “leaning”. BBD was right on as always but I would put the responsibility on you for allowing anyone to do that in a confined space with a leash on to boot! Why didn’t you expect that? Learn from it. Learn your dogs traits; all of them. Don’t assume your vet is your ally. My vet asks for a muzzle. I don’t take offense. He does not like her. But the responsibility lies with me. What gets complicated is that, if he needs to palpate her, she’s tense and adrenaline is high. She won’t respond to pain now. So now I have to learn all things to provide the best health care knowing I can’t use him for anything other than the obvious.

·
Registered
494 Posts
"I was sitting in the chair opposite side of room with the girl scratching and patting his head and he went off on her. Growled and snapped at her. . ."

From what I have always heard regarding being in contact with a dog that is unfamiliar with you, you should never start patting the dog's head. Or smiling showing teeth either for that matter. The dog takes these as signs of aggressive behavior on your part and will become aggressive towards you. That could be the reason he went into attack mode with the vet tech, who should have known better. You obviously have really good control over your dog.

My girl has always had issues at the vet since she was about a year old when another client with her dog freaked out when we came in the door because of her size. My dog could sense her fear and acted on it. Since then I have always had to muzzle her at the vet. She doesn't mind. They labeled her as aggressive because of her breed too. Even though she just stands there and lets them do whatever they need to with her.

Your vet is discriminating against your well behaved dog because of his breed. He also doesn't properly train his tech on how to act around a dog who is not familiar with them.

As Rottweiler owners we have to put up with the discrimination but the stupidity of the girl touching his ears is all on the vet.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Right on, BBD. Concur completely. There are lots of vets that know Rottweilers and to know them is to love them.
Find that vet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts