Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet said that Hank should be no more than 115 lb. He's 27 inches tall at the shoulder. He was 120.
I stopped feeding him so much at the table, and he's now 108 lb. Do you think that lighter is better? No matter how tall?

Dog Plant Dog breed Fence Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Pet supply Companion dog

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think within reason lighter is better. Less stress on joints, less work when active.

I think he's looking looking good. I'd use that scale of tuck etc. they have at vet's offices to help guide you rather than a number on the scale. Let me see if I can find it. I know Rotties tend to be more rectangular, but it can be a helpful guide. Personally I like my dogs to lie between 'thin' and 'ideal'.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I agree with Agis! I think Hank looks great! A leaner, slimmer dog is much more healthy. Rottweilers are prone to CCL/ACL tears and keeping him slim will help to prevent that. Most Rottweilers are overweight...even the show dogs. Breeders often take the show weight off after the dog attains it's Championship or a Sieger rating.

As a breed they tend to be 'easy keepers'....meaning they need very little food to maintain a good weight...very much like Labradors.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
What causes an older dog to lose weight?
When an older dog is losing weight and you have not changed the amount of food you are feeding....it's off to the vet. There could be a few things going on...it could be something simple like worms, or digestion problems....the one I always worry about is cancer with this breed. :( How old is your dog? and how much weight has your dog lost??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hank is 4 yr old and has lost 8 lb. We weighed him at the vet's and there was no problem articulated. They like him weighing that much. Perhaps I'll weigh him again to make sure there is no more weight loss, today

1 - 8 of 8 Posts