Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any of your rottie's make a growling type sound when they are happy about something? Zeus will make a sound like this when he is being petted, about to get a cookie, if you say "outside?", and when he gets a new toy or bone. It is different than any growl a dog makes and sometimes towards the end of his noise he will blow really hard out of his cheeks and make a "farting" sound.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Oh Kitty growls ...I think she is trying to talk ! She has several different types of growls , she has the one when she is disciplining the twins ( I call it the Tasmanian growl ) then she has the pet me more growl while you are petting her ....then she kisses you
I know you are not supposed to let them growl at you but I think we as owners of Rotts know the difference between a bad a good one .....and of course she has that I mean business growl when she see's a cat ! The twins really don't have that yet , I think that comes with age because Kitty didn't do it as a young-en..........

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
we don't call Sampson " grumble guss" for nothing

he grumbles ( growling under his breath ) ....

but he also growls to himself ... you can hear it but its very low ....

he does this when people are around he dont like ....

then theres the rottweiler scary growl .... this is the one for the world to see me ... and if you dont pay attention to that growl ... you get the deep voice bark ....

but he still dont scare me ....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chase (full Rottie) used to "talk" when she was happy.

Johnny (Rott X) does his roo-roo thing in the hallway when he wants to
run up and down. He likes to talk to strangers, too - it scares people
who don't know what he's saying though!

Johnny also growls when he plays, but I don't get concerned about it
because it's obvious he isn't serious. (i.e. no bared teeth, no hackles
raised, I can stick my head in his mouth and he'll just kiss me)

Rotties do not bark without reason, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buddy is a talker too. I never ever once heard a scary growl from him. I'm wondering if there is really a Rottweiler inside him, and not a person. He rumbles growls and shows his teeth when I kiss him during our play time. He lets you know he is participating in whatevers going on with his rumbles. Life without a Rottie has got to be a big bore.

Renee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jadyn does it. Especially if she is on the other side of a gate from you, then she will stretch out and growl in ascending tones to you.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Ok there is at least ahalf a dozen of us here that our Rotties growl at us .(I'm sure there are more )They say you shouldn't let a dog growl at you .... you think they might be a bit wrong about our Rotties ? The older Kitty gets the more she grumbles
It's all in play or just talking to you ...and then she gives kisses all the while grumbling
She cracks me up ! I will say it does scare some of my friends that come here when she does it , they stop petting her and she will take that head of hers and push them to keep petting her ...this is the look they have at times
of course they do because she is bossie ..

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Zelda would growl at everyone who petted her.She found out it scared people and love to scare everyone.

If you were not afraid of her she would not continue to growl,but if you flinched just a bit,the growling got bigger and sometimes she showed her teeth,but she never would have bitten.I think it was fun for her to scare them.

Donna

·
Registered
253 Posts
my two make what me and Ritchie call chewbakka noises because thats exactly what they are!!!! Determined to call my next rottie Chewy!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I should have named Kitty , Tazzy for the Tasmanian growl she does !! ooo maybe that will be the next one's name !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Roxy does the "play" growl when we are playing rough, Ill take my fist & poke it at her face& ask her if she can get it...she growls ,bears her teeth, talks. I tell her she is so fierce....the more I tell her the more she growls. She also do it when we play with her pull rope...Ill tell her to talk to me & Ill let her have it..she starts out quiet & getts louder as I tell her I cant her her. She really looks funny when she does this. And if I put her pull toy in my mouth then she really gets going..like she is saying "that is mine give it back" & she will try to take it...& of course I always do after a min...then she trotts around showing it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rutylr said:
Zelda would growl at everyone who petted her.She found out it scared people and love to scare everyone.

If you were not afraid of her she would not continue to growl,but if
you flinched just a bit, the growling got bigger and sometimes she
showed her teeth, but she never would have bitten.I think it was fun
for her to scare them.

Donna

Bared teeth accompanied by serious growls?

I wouldn't put up with that. Rottweilers have no business threatening pack members or anyone else for no good reason.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Creasey only play growls when we're playing tug-of-war. When she starts, we stop play, take the toy, and say no. It seems to be working. Thank god something is working with this one!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
maybe I'm wrong but I dont see what the problem is with play growling....its their way of "talking" & if they are not out of controll with it & not being overly agressive then why is it a problem?????
Like I said before Roxy does this, if she starts getting to rough...I say "easy" & she calms right down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
denini, some people are of the mind that any "growling" should not be
allowed. However, others can definitely see the difference between
happy noises (that sound like growling) and a full-on, I'm-serious Cujo
growl. I think it's important to watch the dog's body language, as well
as listening carefully to the noises. Believe me, there is a world of
difference between roo-roo noises and the serious growl.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Churchill said:
Bared teeth accompanied by serious growls?

I wouldn't put up with that. Rottweilers have no business threatening pack members or anyone else for no good reason.

Zelda did this once in a while,she never would have bitten anyone.She was not threatening anyone.I think she was just playing with peoples heads.

Her son Bradley does the same thing if you hug him,but stops as soon as you do and tries to get you to pet him more.

I was never worried about it and told everyone who wanted to pet her.

Donna

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK...I understand the difference in the "growls" (& im sure everyone here that has commented before me also does if you really listen to what they are saying)....but once again the topic here is "happy growls"we are talking about when we are playing with our rotts, or they are trying to get our attention to play with them"talking".This is one way for them to try to communicate with us, & , or show a little bit of their personality.I have had many dogs that have done this, though Roxy is my first rott, she doesnt do it any differently than any of the others. Personally, I dont see what the big deal is in the "playing" or 'happy" growl, & why it should be discouraged.My opinion, if you dont know the difference, given the situation, body language, attitude, & if you can not controll your animal,then you have no business having a dog,let alone a rott..who is naturally a bit head strong. Im not try ing to offend anyone...but what is the big deal as to play or hapy grolwing.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I love to hear Harley's happy growl, for 1 month he was too drugged to play, so when he started growling again because he was happy, I was happy. I do not believe it should be discouraged. You start the game, and the dog should know you finish it as well. As long as that is clear, just plain fun for them

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I under stand also people playing with their dogs and them growling(as I owned one).I will never again allow a dog to growl even in play.What will happen to your dog if you can no longer keep them?Is anyone else going to know the dog is just playing?If the dog ends up in a shelter,the dog would most likly be put down because of this.Just some thing to think about.Even tho I like the talking.

Donna

1 - 20 of 20 Posts