Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harley just came home from the vet. He had his second eye surgery today. It's hard to tell what the results will be because he has alot of swelling again. The vet said he had developed alot of scar tissue from the previous surgery and he feels that was part ofthe reason his eye lid never went back into the right position. He said the gland is actually smaller now than his other eye so he removed some of the scar tissue and a bit more other tissue and feels it should be close to normal now if not completely normal. I'll post a photo in a few days when the swelling is gone. I sure hope this is the end.....I think his surgery is more traumatic for me than it is for him.....he's enjoying his drunkenness right now

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
hopefully it will be all better this time,when Bentley came home it looked worse then when he left,but now he looks really good.

Donna

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Chris,

It's Trish. I didn't know Harley had surgery. I hope he is ok. It feels sogood to get them back home huh?

I take Zeus tomorrow for surgery. I am dreading it. I hate dropping him off and leaving him. He will be there for about 5 days. Surgery on his neck- Spinal stenosis. I'll be going crazy. this is the only time I DON'T EAT. Which will be the only a good thing out of this.

Say a prayer please

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trisha, Harley had cherry eye and had his second surgery today....he's ok, thanks for asking
He is like one of my kids and I too worry. Zeus will be in our thoughts and prayers
It's so hard to leave them, I know, and I couldn't even imagine leaving him for 5 days!! You know, I've had furry children before, but I've never been so attached to one as I am Harley. Maybe because he's an empty nest puppy
Let us know howZeus isdoing...keep us posted!

I hope you're right Donna.....because he definitely looks worse than he did this morning.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Harley's Mama , give your Harley a kiss from me and my fur babies ! and one of those peanut butter cookies too .....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll do that, thanks...although he thinks he needs a cookie just for looking pretty every 10 minutes. It's funny, sometimes he'll just sit in front of the freezer door....waiting....and waiting.

He's having a tough time this time......he is trying so hard to rub at his eye and he's really squinting, barely opening his eye. He'll go so far as to try and get the corner of the chair INSIDE of that darn lampshade trying to rub at it. The first time around, it didn't seem to bother him at all. Poor baby!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was weighed at the vet before his surgery.....73.5lbs
at 6 months!!! The vet assured us he isn't the slightest bit overweight......Holy Cow!...he's going to be a monster! He'll need his ownsofa like everyone else'skids here!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh poor pretty boy. He has such beautiful colors! It reminds me of a tulip with that collar!

Please give hima big KISS from me too. Zeus no here and I missing him awful. Can I borrow Harly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...Harley would love to come visit but only if he can sit on your lap and slobber kisses all over you! How is Zeus??? I know you must miss him

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Awwwwww that poor baby ...he looks like he's from outer space in the pic with that thingy around his neck
now give him another cookie
he's 73lbs !!! he is going to be a brut !! Hey Trish you can borrow one of mine ....but their bad ....

·
Registered
218 Posts
how is the eye healing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll give you an update later today....he has an appt. at 9am this morning. He's not doing so well. He can't keep his eye open
Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems Harley has an ulcerated cornea!! But of course the vet said it didn't happen when the surgery was performed, Harley must have done it himself. I have different thoughts about that....we're with him 24 x 7, constantly watching him, so.....

She drew some blood and spun it down and we're using the serum as eye drops along with pain meds and Atropine drops. He goes back again Thursday for a follow up.

I want my 'well' puppy back! He looks so sad and I feel so bad for him.

Trish....the anticipation and waiting for Zeus's surgery to be over must be driving you crazy! We'll keep him in our prayers!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Poor Harley ! Sometimes you wonder what happen ....huh... did they goof or is this common ......does he still have the head gear on ? He's going to think it's apart of him ! He needs another cookie !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah...still wearing the lampshade...what's left of it anyway. He's done a fabulous job of trying to chew it off of his head, it's held together with staples now

We noticed lastnight (and not before this because he hasn't opened his eye) that you can't see the iris or pupil in that eye. When you look at his eye in bright light, it almost appears to be a gold or bronze color??? And when the light isn't hitting it, it appears very milky looking. I am so worried about him. I wish now I would have just left his eye alone after the first surgery. He has another appt. tomorrow for a follow up. I had complete trust and confidence in my vet....up until now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Please let us know the update .......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Harley just had his checkup. The vet saidthe ulcer on his cornea isdefinitely healing but still has some inflamation. She said his eye looks the way it does because of the Atropine meds....it dilates the pupil so large that you cannot see the iris of his eye. So what we're seeing is the pigmentation in the back of his eye. However, his eye looks absolutely no better than before he had surgery the second time. I believe we'll be searching for a new vet and another opinion.
She really made me feel like a fool....stating that she told me the Atropine would make his pupil dilate ....in a very condescending voice. Am I, not being a vet, to know what a pupil fully dilated would look like??

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's ok. Who cares what they think.
You just keep asking those questions... Matter of fact ask a hundred questions. That's why they are condensending, their not use to owners who ask questions. Most just take their animal (if they take their animal to the vet) let the vet do their thing and take them home. As a past nurse I believe it is your right to ask away. Your paying for it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How is Harley doing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts