Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

we were expecting to take home our 8 week old pup tomorrow, only to discover today from the breeder that upon initial evaluation, she was diagnosed with a Grade murmur. Now we are struggling with the tough decision of wether we roll the dice, hoping it resolves itself (we will know by 6 months) or back out and wait for a future litter. Our vet offered the tough advise not to take her, given the potential health complications. But our hearts our town. Wondering if any other Rottie owners have had pups with grade 2 murmurs and how things turned out? What would you all say?

thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Our vet found a murmur with Agis when he was younger, but said some large breed pups outgrow them. He did by the next round of vaccinations, it's never shown since.

Some info on this here - Heart Murmurs in Dogs.

I can't tell you which kind of murmur to the puppy you were looking at has, obviously, but just an FYI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our vet found a murmur with Agis when he was younger, but said some large breed pups outgrow them. He did by the next round of vaccinations, it's never shown since.

Some info on this here - Heart Murmurs in Dogs.

I can't tell you which kind of murmur to the puppy you were looking at has, obviously, but just an FYI.
Thank you!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
That's a really hard decision to make...and I'm sorry you have to go through this. I would want to know if the sire and dam have had their hearts certified by a cardiologist before they were bred? and were the results on the OFA site? This would at least give you a history of good hearts in the genetics. If their hearts were just cleared before breeding by a pet vet, I would probably pass on this puppy. Grade 2 at 8 weeks...is not good.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Agis
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top