Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I noticed Apollo wasnt eating very well today, and when I took him out to play he wasn't chewing on his toys like he normally does. He was avoiding using one side of his mouth. I had him lie down and roll over then tried to look at his mouth. On the left side under his mouth (under his lower jaw) there is a large looks like swelling to me. He whines when I touch it. Is there anything I can do for this? Should I take him right into the vet? He already has an appointment ion Tues. for his shots but if I have to I will take him into emergency. Is there anything I can give him for pain? Please get back with me as soon as possible</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
you better go to a vet ..... he shouldnt have to be in pain till tuesday ...

if you cant see what it is ...... dont guess .......

If it was me i would GO to the emergency hospital ....

you never know if its a sist it might be poisonous should it pop ....

you might gime him a motrin or whatever you have tylonol

but NO percsiptions ..... maybe too strong ....

" good Luck "

hope its nothing ......

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks for answering me right away. No one was on and I was in a panic, I sent an email to Donna just a few minutes ago.The vet I normally take him to is closed for the holidays. I am going to try to call another one right now.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

we are taking apollo to the grand rapids animal hospital as nothing is open around here. will let you know how things turn out when we get back</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hope everything is ok with him let us know!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Apollo is going into surgery tonite. He wont be getting out until probably around 3am. They will call when it is done and let me know how it went. Apollo apparently got something stuck in one of his teeth and it became abcessed. They are pulling the tooth and then making a hole in his jaw for drainage. They had him sedated when I left and said they would be giving him morphine for the pain. I will be able to pick him up in the morning around 8am. He was running a bit of a temp and obviously wasnt feeling good and yet had to have everyone pet him. He weighs 32.3lbs right now. It is going to cost almost $600.00 by the time they are done, but it will be well worth it if I just get my happy baby back. I know I wont sleep tonite, I wont be able to until Apollo is back home. Their sending some prescription drops home with him for infection. Sorry Im rambling so much, just really nervous. Thats all I know for now.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
914 Posts
Try not to worry too much hon. he's gonna be alright I just know it!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The hospital just called and said Apollo is out of surgery already.They removed the tooth, and put the hole in for drainage. She said the swelling has already gone down a little bit, but to keep an eye on it over the next couple of days. She said to give him soft canned food for a couple of days. What kind would be the best for him? He'll be ready to pick up at 8:30am tomorrow. Im so glad my hubby puts up with me, I cried most of the way there and all the way home. Apollo better never get sick again, or I'll probably have a nervous breakdown. We lost our other rott we had three years ago in July, then this happens with Apollo this July so it really hit me hard. I kept having flashbacks of when our other pup was sick, and started panicking. Thanks for all your support, I really appreciate it.

</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
914 Posts
Anytime, anywhere that's what we are here for! A shoulder to cry on, an ear to bend, and a fountain of opinions (whether asked for or not)hehehe! We will always be here for ya when your in need!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Actually, It's pretty common what happened. Happens with human as well. Don't tell me you never got popcorn stuck in your teeth and then a few days laetr after it hurt like hell.....um yea. Ya feel me now?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Glad to here he is going to be fine.Some times things happen,glad youfound it when you did.

Keep us updated.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Miss Scarlet , glad to hear that your baby is ok ..... I always say when in doubt call the doctor ....I'm happy you did !!! Keep us all updated on his recovery.....and give him lots of kisses from me

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Apollo is doing fine now. He's still sore but that is to be expected. They said to put him on canned food for a couple of days, and boy is he tearing it up! He has an antibiotic he has to be on for 7 days and pain medication through tomorrow. He's acting much more like his old self again except he won't let me out of his sight. He's either on my lap or under my feet. I've tripped over him twice today and almost went on my head. I think he's mad at me for leaving him at the hospital overnite and now HE'S keeping an eye on ME. His fever is down and he goes into the vet tomorrow to get his shots and a good once over. I'm only letting him have soft toys to play with right now as I dont want to have them irritate his mouth.He's acting much happier and I'm happier now that he is home.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I will, and I'm gonna ask them about how much he should be eating of that canned food. On the can for large breed puppies it says 4 cans. I think thats alot. He ate it all but waddles like a duck now
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah they will definetly overdo it on that stuff if ya let 'em!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I had to give Apollo his meds just a while ago and he's on to me already. The first time I gave them to him, I stuck them at the back of his mouth and rubbed his throat til he swallowed. This time was a battle! He must have spit those pills out six times. I finally went and got a clump of peanutbutter and stuck them in there, and T/G he swallowed them. I'll be glad when he's done with the canned food! It gives him some awful gas, and he's stinkin up the house somethin' fierce!

</BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.