Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone's dog have anal gland issues?

Norton always seems to have a stinky back end. We have talked to our vet about it and had his back end checked. His gland are normal and not backed up but it seems like they are constantly releasing or leaking. And it is not a welcome smell. :(

We did switch him to a grain free food (Blue Buffalo Wilderness) when we brought him home- which helped some. I had him on chicken and he was doing OK on that but I've had dogs in the past with chicken protein allergies so I switched him to beef (same food different flavor) thinking it would help more and that made things worse. I've got him back on the chicken and he's less stinky but still has problems.

I'm a little nervous to try the fish protein after the beef failure. He doesn't receive table scraps or other random foods. He's pretty much strictly on his food and about once a day he get a treat from the same food line of his kibble. I'm wondering if I need to look into a limited ingredient food?

I'm sure this is rooted in some sort of digestive sensitivity but I'm hesitant to start changing things for fear it will get worse.

Does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some research I'm wondering if there is an extra ingredient in the Blue Buffalo that's bothering him. Does anyone have experience with Limited ingredient foods? I saw Canidae has one. I had my husky mix on that when she was younger and absolutely loved it. I didn't realize they were still around.

Maybe I need to find a dog nutritionist..... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
You may just want to re-think feeding Blue Buffalo. Anal glands become a problem when the gland does not empty properly during a bowel movement. Does your dog have soft poop? hard poop? How often does he poop per day? He may just need a food with more fiber....so that his glands empty. Try the Canidae...and see if that helps. I also know people that added a handful of Bran Flakes to each meal...and that has helped with anal glands.
Does he lick his butt constantly? Has he been checked for worms? Sometimes tape worms cause licking...and the licking causes leaking of the glands. They can get tape worms from eating rabbit poop, or deer, or other wild animal poop, and also from having fleas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His stools are actually 98% solid on the current food. And I know his glands are expessing cause you can see it when he poops. He has been checked for worms and he’s clear of those.

I’ve really been looking at the Canidae the last two days. They have a chicken grain free formula that also omits potato. Instead it has lentils and peas. Only eight ingredients so it’s limited ingredient too. I’m sure I will end up buying it but I’m just nervous about switching his food again.

Any deviation from his normal kibble results in a stinkier back side and loose stool. So I really think he has some sort of digestive sensitivity. I have to be very careful of what treats I buy for him. And I’ve yet to find any that have no effect on him.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
You could try adding a probiotic to his food. It may help with digestion...and clear those stinky anal glands. Even adding a tablespoon of natural non-flavored yogurt to each meal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The yogurt sounds like a good idea. I've had that suggested to me before also. I might try that as well. I'm sure the girls would benefit from that as well.

I did order the Canidae for him to try so fingers crossed that it helps. I also ordered it for my husky mix. I'm hoping she will do as well on it now as she did before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Canidae yesterday and mixed a portion with his current food. He's had two meals of the mix and he usually responds quickly to diet changes. First bathroom break was great so hopefully that will help with his glands too. I'll be picking up some yogurt this weekend for him also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My boy doesn't scoot but he does a lot of licking and inconsistent stools. I recently started using a product made by Glandex - "Boot the Scoot" it comes in powder and chews. I bought the chews on Chewy.com and it has tons of positive reviews, some saying that their vet recommended the product. I also have been feeding American Journey Duck Grain Free kibble which is high in fiber (also purchase from Chewy). I saw great improvement after switching to AJ Duck Kibble and hopefully adding the Glandex will end the licking.

Edit - I should also add that the AJ Duck Grain Free is also a limited ingredient kibble which is good for dogs with allergies/food sensitivities. I tried other grain free foods but I am having better results with the limited ingredient one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My boy doesn't scoot but he does a lot of licking and inconsistent stools. I recently started using a product made by Glandex - "Boot the Scoot" it comes in powder and chews. I bought the chews on Chewy.com and it has tons of positive reviews, some saying that their vet recommended the product. I also have been feeding American Journey Duck Grain Free kibble which is high in fiber (also purchase from Chewy). I saw great improvement after switching to AJ Duck Kibble and hopefully adding the Glandex will end the licking.

Edit - I should also add that the AJ Duck Grain Free is also a limited ingredient kibble which is good for dogs with allergies/food sensitivities. I tried other grain free foods but I am having better results with the limited ingredient one.

Thanks for the info! I have seen a definite improvement in his stools since I started the Canidae. I think it will work well for him. I will have to look into the Glandex though. I'm all for anything that will help. He hasn't been as stinky the last few days so that's a positive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it turns out Norton is allergic to multiple things. We did a food allergy test and he reacted to chicken, beef, fish, eggs, wheat and soy. 😳Which explained a lot.

I’m happy to say we’ve switched him to a different protein on the Canidae limited ingredient food line and we are seeing definite improvement. His stools are better and he is no longer stinky. I’ve gotten the food almost completely switched out so we are well on our way. The vet said it could take up to three months for everything to level out but I’m impressed so far with his progress.

It’s good to know the source of his issue and be able to get it fixed for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts