Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here and a new rottie mum to Sabbath. He is a 4 month old German rottie, and he's rotten as hell. I'm not sure if it's just the pup in him or he is just freaking mean..! He treats my kids and I like a chew toy. I tell my kids dont let him do that, to get a toy and play with him. Other then that he's amazing and smart , super smart. I don't want a aggressive dog at all , PLEASE HELP...!
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Companion dog

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Cute puppy!! Get enrolled into some sort of classes with him ASAP!! You need to get the help of a trainer on board to see how they can help you teach the pup. Puppies are bitey...but they need help learning not to bite. Also do a google search for NILIF and implement this into your pup's life. Basically good manners and asking for a behavior before anything good comes to him.

· Registered
194 Posts
Bitey in a 4 month old sounds like play rather than aggression I'd guess. Remember regardless of the breed he's still just a dog and set the boundaries.. he will get there. Redirecting to toys as you mentíon is a great idea.

· Registered
45 Posts
Wow, When my Dexter was 4 months old, he chewed everything. Not too bad now. I did take him to dog training lesson, unfortunately the trainer would not let Dexter mix with other dogs. Said he was frighting them. Not that he did anything. He is now 4 years old, hates the vets. He tells us when he is unhappy about anything.

· Registered
21 Posts
He is a puppy - of course he is treating everything like a chew toy! I wouldn't say he is "mean" or "aggressive" - it just sounds like he is exhibiting normal puppy behavior. Make sure he is getting enough exercise/mental stimulation and absolutely enroll him in puppy training classes if you haven't already. The whole family should be involved in his training, especially the kids so they understand how to safely interact with the dog. Owning a rottie is a privilege and a responsibility.. I have found that training with the help of a professional is not optional (especially as a first-time rottie owner).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts