Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought home a rottweiler/shepard mix yesterday from the SPCA. She is about 1 year old. We find in the first evening that she is not housebroken. What are the chances of accomplishing this training fairly soon and how difficult would it be? I am assuming she has only been an outside dog since she hasn't been housebroken. That might also mean that she has other socialization issues. Any help or opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi abrdallas, Welcome ! there are allot of post here about rescuing, training , potty training , crating ... Have you ever had a pup before ? Is she spayed ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know much...I'm new at this ownership thing too. I was wondering if maybe it's because she doesn't know where to go (back door, front door, etc). It was just the first thing that came to my mind.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would say your girl could be confused. Be patient, and take her out frequently, reward for going outside. Go out with her so you can reward as soon as she goes. make a big deal out of it.

Are you feeding twice a day? Make sure she goes out right after eating. If you changed food from what she was being fed, she could get the runs. That will pass once her body gets used to the new food.

This is all new to her, so give her a little time.

good luck

Barb

·
Registered
846 Posts
Also, I would just do a quick routine check for a UTI. Bring a sample of first morning pee to the vet, see if she may have a uti. Coming from an SPCA, I would not put it past her to have one. Better to be safe than sorry.

I also crate train my dogs, it builds confidence. Keep her on leash with you. Attach her to your hip on a 10 foot lead. Watch for her signs.

That is also a great way to bond with her

1 - 5 of 5 Posts