• 180+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Ive heard so many people claiming what sounds to me as very unsubstantiated weights for their rotti's or past pups. People seem to be obsessed with the weight of a Rottweiler and I feel like the hype causes people to over feed and/or over breed to achieve these unrealistic expectations of what a "huge" rotti is. When I take my guy to dog parks, 90% of the time I will hear "I used to have a huge Rotti! He weighed ____!!!" and almost every time, its 150, 160, or 180 pounds. (Im literally keeping track. I have 7 for 150, 4 for 160, and 2 for 180. No one has ever said to me "I had a huge rotti- he was 110 pounds!') When I was a vet tech for 10 years, (and granted, this was a decade ago) but, I never once met a 150# rottweiler and working in internal medicine and cancer treatment- sadly I saw a lot of Rottis. So my question is- did rottis get much larger over the last decade or do people just love to exaggerate their rotti's size? Id love to do a poll to see what the trends are- but it has to be honest. So please, if you have a 140, 150....180 pound rotti you want to share about, please be prepared to offer some proof ; ) My dog is taking his therapy certification soon and we plan on visiting a lot of people and places, I would love to be able to educate about the breed as we go, but if my info is outdated, Id love to get the facts right! = )

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
This is so common in the breed...and has been for the last 25 year or so. Most people are very bad at guessing either their own dogs weight, or some else's dogs weight. When people start bragging and blowing that their dog is 150 lbs (of solid muscle...lol), or their brother, cousin, aunt, friend has one that weighs that much....I doubt very much that the dog weighs that much. Great Danes weigh that much...not Rottweilers. Either the dog is way overweight, or they are guessing the weight wrong? BYB's and commercial greeders are always bragging about their oversized dogs...and it's very sad to see that the public is uneducated about the standard for the breed.

An ethical breeder that is breeding to improve the breed...will only breed dogs that fit the Rottweiler standard. Females about 70-90 lbs (depending on their height), and males from 90-120 lbs...again depending on their height. Their weight must be in proportion to their height. Rottweilers are a working breed....and cannot run, or jump, or go all day...if they are blobs on 4 legs.
Now I must admit that they are 'easy keepers' and need very little food to keep at a decent weight once they have matured.

It must have something to do with in America/Canada....the bigger is better theory?? Who knows?
I've only had 2 really well bred Rottweilers...and they were in the breed standard. My female was about 82-85 lbs all her life, and my Baxter was about 115-120 lbs. Both had great hips and elbows and lived to a decent old age of 11 1/2 and 12 years respectively . The others Rotties were all foster fails...and most likely came from BYB type of breedings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had a few Rottweilers and each one has been different. My goal was to get them to their ideal weight. One of them was fit and trim at 130lbs another was fit and trim at 105lbs. It's dangerous for the dog's health to get them heavier then their ideal weight and this is especially important with Rottweilers. I want my Rottweilers to live as long as possible and be as healthy as possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had a male that got up to 180 lb. We tried all kinds of diets and none worked. Turns out he had thyroid condition and we did get his weight under control. So the fatties are out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had a male that got up to 180 lb. We tried all kinds of diets and none worked. Turns out he had thyroid condition and we did get his weight under control. So the fatties are out there.
Do you have a picture?

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
I lost a good friend because I told her that her Rottweiler was WAY TOO FAT!!! His back was swayed and his belly almost hung to the ground, and he had rolls of fat around his neck,...but she insisted it was "all muscle". The poor dog could hardly walk and was panting constantly. He may have had a thyroid condition also....but she did not want to listen to me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I lost a good friend because I told her that her Rottweiler was WAY TOO FAT!!! His back was swayed and his belly almost hung to the ground, and he had rolls of fat around his neck,...but she insisted it was "all muscle". The poor dog could hardly walk and was panting constantly. He may have had a thyroid condition also....but she did not want to listen to me.
The WFDs (World's Fattest Dogs) used to live in our building - I THINK a yellow Lab and Boxer, but who the heck could tell, they made 'morbidly obese' look like an understatement. Very similar to your friend's dog. I avoided them for awhile because it made me so angry (if I'd known their unit I'd have reported them for animal abuse; what are the chances of TWO hypothyroid dogs). After I saw them out in the summer with a cloth grooming muzzle around the Lab's muzzle, I spoke them to explain their dog couldn't pant and it would need to in the heat. Those poor dogs would walk 20 meters then sit down. Eventually as we got to know each other they'd comment on our guys' energy. So we started laying the groundwork. Then - they moved - and I've always wondered what happened to those poor dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
I finally do, now that we have an updated site. Make a new post...at the bottom of the post will be a line of things...find the paper clip..and click on that...it should be easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks very much for the instructions. My wife just said to me the big guy has been gone 20 years. I am going to look in the archives for a picture if I can find them. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
Ive heard so many people claiming what sounds to me as very unsubstantiated weights for their rotti's or past pups. People seem to be obsessed with the weight of a Rottweiler and I feel like the hype causes people to over feed and/or over breed to achieve these unrealistic expectations of what a "huge" rotti is. When I take my guy to dog parks, 90% of the time I will hear "I used to have a huge Rotti! He weighed ____!!!" and almost every time, its 150, 160, or 180 pounds. (Im literally keeping track. I have 7 for 150, 4 for 160, and 2 for 180. No one has ever said to me "I had a huge rotti- he was 110 pounds!') When I was a vet tech for 10 years, (and granted, this was a decade ago) but, I never once met a 150# rottweiler and working in internal medicine and cancer treatment- sadly I saw a lot of Rottis. So my question is- did rottis get much larger over the last decade or do people just love to exaggerate their rotti's size? Id love to do a poll to see what the trends are- but it has to be honest. So please, if you have a 140, 150....180 pound rotti you want to share about, please be prepared to offer some proof ; ) My dog is taking his therapy certification soon and we plan on visiting a lot of people and places, I would love to be able to educate about the breed as we go, but if my info is outdated, Id love to get the facts right! = )
Our Boy Dozer IS 150 Our Girl was 140 when she passed from Cancer we have a rescue female the is 100

·
Registered
4 Posts
The original post is spot on. I hardly ever see Rottweilers in the Minneapolis area, but people approach me all the time when I am out with the dogs to ask me if mine are purebred because they're "small"(my female is 80 and male is 102.) It gets annoying. They always follow-up with something like: "my sister had a female who was 140 lbs, head as big as a basketball." Or "I grew up with a male, he was 180lbs of solid muscle" They're full of crap.

Here is my small male and small female for reference.

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
The original post is spot on. I hardly ever see Rottweilers in the Minneapolis area, but people approach me all the time when I am out with the dogs to ask me if mine are purebred because they're "small"(my female is 80 and male is 102.) It gets annoying. They always follow-up with something like: "my sister had a female who was 140 lbs, head as big as a basketball." Or "I grew up with a male, he was 180lbs of solid muscle" They're full of crap.

View attachment 18864

View attachment 18865
That's what Rottweilers should look like. Nice tuck up, and looking like they are ready to go! Beautiful dogs!!

·
Registered
13 Posts

View attachment 18864 they look perfect to me

View attachment 18865

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

View attachment 18864

View attachment 18865
aww your dogs look great and very fit!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts

View attachment 18864

View attachment 18865
Beautiful dogs

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, My Current Big boy is 90lbs BUT My Last one the RUNT was solid Muscle and head the size of a basket ball he weighed in at the vets scale at 125lbs official and he did not look fat in any way. German Bloodlines on his sires side, .I have photos.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts