• 160-170

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180+

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
Well, My Current Big boy is 90lbs BUT My Last one the RUNT was solid Muscle and head the size of a basket ball he weighed in at the vets scale at 125lbs official and he did not look fat in any way. German Bloodlines on his sires side, .I have photos.
125 lbs is not abnormal for a male Rottweiler. It's the 150 to 180 lbs dogs that I don't understand. A very large Great Dane weighs 180 lbs...but they have the size to carry it. Rottweilers are a large breed...not a giant breed. The German dogs if they are well bred...are within the standard. The American/Canadian/German standard for the breed are very close in size...maybe a few centimeters difference in height. The German working lines are quite smaller then the conformations lines.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not trying to be a dick for saying this but most of us on here if they are like me don't really concern themselves with breed standards. I love their looks, manners and companionship. Our 5th boy is being born in a week and can hardly wait to pick him up at the end of May. i hope I didn't offend anyone as it was not my intension .

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
You should be concerned about the breed standard. That's what makes a Rottweiler, a Rottweiler. When you look at a well bred dog, that acts and looks like what the breed was supposed to be. I fostered many Rottweilers, and believe you me...there is a big difference between a well bred in standard Rottweiler, and a BYB bred one. A Rottweiler that comes from a good breeder that does everything in their power to breed healthy, strong, even tempered dogs...is a great dog to live with. A crippled Rottweiler limping because of hip dysplasia, or elbow dysplasia, or falling over dead with SAS (heart) is a nightmare to own. It's heartbreaking to have a dog that you know will need expensive elbow or hip surgery and cost a fortune to repair. I would rather support breeders that are doing everything right, and in the future there will still be Rottweilers that look like they should. I hate the idea of lining pockets of 'greeders' with money...for basically not caring what they breed...as long as it's black and tan...and has a huge head...and of course a uterus and penis. It only takes a generation or two, for poorly bred Rottweilers to start looking ugly....tall and lanky, or looking like pig dogs that have short snouts with wrinkled heads and oversized bodies.

If you want a Giant breed...there all sorts of breeds to choose from Mastiffs, Great Danes, Italian Mastiffs, Great Pyrenees, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where did you get the idea that I want a giant breed ???? There are about 3 registered breeders in Ontario that advertise and 1 of those will not sell a pup if you have not purchased from him before. What are Rotti lovers to do ?? I have purchased three from BYB and they all lived healthy long lives. A female lived to 14.

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
If you don't care about the standard...then you get dogs that are out of proportion. You've been lucky that your BYB dogs have lived long healthy lives. If you start reading threads here...you will see how many health and temperament problems that are produced by BYB's. I have adopted BYB foster fails....and none of mine lived long and healthy lives...it hurts to think of the pain that they had to go through because the BYB did not care for the standard.

We have many good breeders here in Ontario! You just have to know where to look. Most good breeders do NOT advertise and don't have puppies available when you want them. You have to often go on a waiting list for planned breedings.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My girl is 130 lbs at her last weigh in. She once got up to 142 because my of my husband giving to her sad hungry eyes while he's eating. She is not overweight according to those charts that show the dog from the top. She is taller than most Rotties and her ribs are noticable like they should be, even at that weight. I got her weight down by changing her diet from commercial dog food that has a lot of carbs to a higher protein diet with fresh meat and vegetables I make in my kitchen. She is in really good health and still acts like a puppy at times. She turned 10 a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My big girl is 130 by the vet's scale. I told the vet (really like her, by the way) that it was all her fault. She flipped Tia's "poof switch" during the spay. She laughed, said it happens sometimes. I did keep 2 females out of her one and only litter, both are 100 pds at 3 years old. I would have LOVED to have found smaller rotts, but oh well. All my rotts have been on the large side. Tia, granted, is pudgy (trying to be tactful here). My girlies are not. They ADORE chasing a ball. We also have a Golden that has taught them very well that chasing that ball is the best thing ever!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My big girl is 130 by the vet's scale. I told the vet (really like her, by the way) that it was all her fault. She flipped Tia's "poof switch" during the spay.
130 lbs for a female? My female was 75 lbs before her spay at 2 years. She's 3 now and weighs 80. My male below her is 102 at 18 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
130 lbs for a female? My female was 75 lbs before her spay at 2 years. She's 3 now and weighs 80. My male below her is 102 at 18 months.

View attachment 18918

View attachment 18919
Yes, 130 as per my vet's scales. She is the 2nd female I have had that weighed in at 130. Tia is pudgy tho. My Po was not fat, she was just a big girl.
Pudgy or not, she's happy. She LOVES her "biggy ball", beats it up every day.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
Yes, 130 as per my vet's scales. She is the 2nd female I have had that weighed in at 130. Tia is pudgy tho. My Po was not fat, she was just a big girl.
Pudgy or not, she's happy. She LOVES her "biggy ball", beats it up every day.
I'm sorry...but your dog is not pudgy...she is FAT!! She will be so much healthier and live longer if you can get her down to 110 lbs. What are you feeding her, and how much? Have you had her thyroid checked? Very common to have a low thyroid in Rottweilers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sorry...but your dog is not pudgy...she is FAT!! She will be so much healthier and live longer if you can get her down to 110 lbs. What are you feeding her, and how much? Have you had her thyroid checked? Very common to have a low thyroid in Rottweilers.
My vet is fully aware of her size. Yes, I agree she is fat, I was trying to be tactful by calling it pudgy. I did not come here to be lectured on what I already know. She did NOT have a weight problem before the spay. Then she poofed. Nothing has changed except for that.

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
Sorry did not mean to lecture you. Sometimes people are oblivious to what their dogs look like. They think their dog is "big boned"...when the dog is fat. When dogs are spayed...their food amount has to be cut back. I know all of the female Rotties and even the males after being neutered ...I had to cut back on their food, and watch everything they got as a treat. I have never fed any of my females more then 2 cups of a high quality dog food, and a couple of small dog cookies per day. Try feeding a meat based kibble...the less carbs the better for her. Rottweilers as a breed are 'easy keepers'...very much like Labs.

Reactions: Camy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry did not mean to lecture you. Sometimes people are oblivious to what their dogs look like. They think their dog is "big boned"...when the dog is fat. When dogs are spayed...their food amount has to be cut back. I know all of the female Rotties and even the males after being neutered ...I had to cut back on their food, and watch everything they got as a treat. I have never fed any of my females more then 2 cups of a high quality dog food, and a couple of small dog cookies per day. Try feeding a meat based kibble...the less carbs the better for her. Rottweilers as a breed are 'easy keepers'...very much like Labs.
I'm sorry as well. I know you were just speaking the truth, just a trying day, I guess.
Yes, I know she is fat. She is on a high quality kibble. I did try feeding raw, but my younger girls proved to be allergic to chicken, so now I feed Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. She gets VERY little in the way of treats. She was never heavy till the spay. The vet warned me some will poof out, and my girl certainly did. She is active and plays ball a lot. Not the tennis ball, but her own big ball.
She's a happy girl, so I guess that counts for something. I just don't see her losing any weight. I have always free fed, and strange as it seems, she's the only one I don't see spending a lot of time at the food dish.
There are worse things in life than being heavy. She's happy, and so am I. I guess we make a good pair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not trying to be a dick for saying this but most of us on here if they are like me don't really concern themselves with breed standards. I love their looks, manners and companionship. Our 5th boy is being born in a week and can hardly wait to pick him up at the end of May. i hope I didn't offend anyone as it was not my intension .
Breed standards do matter when considering the health and longevity of life. But I know what you mean; if your not breeding why be concerned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Big black dog you are hilarious. Very blunt. If you were not a super moderator you would catch heat😂

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
Breed standards do matter when considering the health and longevity of life. But I know what you mean; if your not breeding why be concerned.
Because if a breeder does not breed to the breed standard...in a few generations the dogs they produce don't even look like Rottweilers. They have that long nose and the long legs...that ignorant people call "American Rottweiler". Those are what poorly bred BYB Rottweilers look like...and what mostly came into rescue. When you look at a well bred Rottweiler from Germany, America, Austria, Canada,etc. they should all look the same...that is what the "breed standard" is.

Reactions: Camy
21 - 39 of 39 Posts