• 160-170

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180+

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
We have had 10 rotties. Most were 80-90lbs. The biggest were 125 and currently 140. Both were/are lean and just very large dogs. The current 140 lb guy has black spots on his tongue, which makes me wonder if there isn't some mastiff in his bloodline, although he looks pure Rottie, he has a very beautiful face. Almost all have been adopted as adults, so you never know. If they are lean and muscular and healthy is all that matters. Our female is not lean. I try to keep her from the Chi's dish and the big guy's dish. But I fail... my first and second female Rotties were like her, on the shorter chunky side. Other females have been leaner with longer legs. Adopted rotts come in more sizes and shapes, since prolly most came from BYB.

What say you BBD? Have you seen black spots on purebred Rottie tongues? I hadn't before this.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My girl is 11 months old and about 75 lbs. She runs with me twice a day and is very energetic. I had her on Diamond Naturals Large Breed and recently switched to Diamond Performance because of her being so active. I was hoping she'd put on more weight(which she may anyway since she's not adult yet) because I thought she was underweight. It seems like alot of rotties I see are bulky but now reading this... I realize they're overweight. Let me know y'alls opinions tho...
Dog Dog breed Working animal Carnivore Snow

Dog Carnivore Collar Dog breed Road surface

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
She's a very nice looking girl. It's hard to tell from the pictures...but I think she may be a bit "chunky"?? In the picture where she is standing...she should have more of an under tuck at this age? She will still fill in and grow some more...till at least 2 years of age. You are right, most of the Rottweilers you see are overweight, or just out of the breed standard.

One thing I would caution you about . You mentioned running with your girl twice per day. At 11 month of age her growth plates are still open...and repetitive exercise such as running or jogging, biking is not recommended at her age. After about 18 month of age you can start slowly and on soft ground like grass is better. If she is running and racing around on her own in a fenced yard, that's different...she can decide when she is tired...and rest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
She's a very nice looking girl. It's hard to tell from the pictures...but I think she may be a bit "chunky"?? In the picture where she is standing...she should have more of an under tuck at this age? She will still fill in and grow some more...till at least 2 years of age. You are right, most of the Rottweilers you see are overweight, or just out of the breed standard.

One thing I would caution you about . You mentioned running with your girl twice per day. At 11 month of age her growth plates are still open...and repetitive exercise such as running or jogging, biking is not recommended at her age. After about 18 month of age you can start slowly and on soft ground like grass is better. If she is running and racing around on her own in a fenced yard, that's different...she can decide when she is tired...and rest.
I will say the picture of her from the side isn't a good one. I honestly don't think she's chunky at all but she does have abit of extra skin like around her neck area.

I did say "running" but its more of a very slow jog, not a galloping type of run. She only runs full out when she wants to. I did read that previously about the growth plates and was worried about it. The only reason I don't take her on a "walk" is because she'd rather jog. Also we go a little over a mile each time.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts