Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my 3 1/2 month rottweiler doesnt play on her own with her toys. All her toys are in a box and I give her one toy at a time. usually whenever I give it to her she will play with it for a second and as soon as I walk away to do my work or anything she stops playing with it. she will only play with it if I am sitting there with her or she will come and bring it to me so I can play with her. How do I encourage self play time? I do crate her, and even in her crate I give her the toy but she does not play with it and is usually just noticing whatever I am doing. Please give me advice on how to train her to enjoy her time alone or atleast play with her toys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if anyone can tell me DIY simple indoor activities that I can do with my puppy to mentally stimulate her would be very helpful! I have recently started hiding treats and making her look for it. but I need more Ideas to keep my little baby mentally stimulated and happy!

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
Most dogs do not play with toys themselves. They usually enjoy chewing alone...so provide some chew toys, or chew items. Fill a Kong with some cream cheese or peanut butter, and stuff the opening with a dog biscuit...it will take her awhile to work out the goodies. You can also provide a nice raw beef marrow bone...just take out most of the marrow the first couple of times you give it to her. The marrow is rich, and may upset her tummy if she has too much. Buy some bully sticks, or dry tracheas, and other animal parts to chew. Dog food puzzles are also a good way to keep her interested and you can feed her some of her meal from it.

Most dogs want you to play with them. Buy a Jolly Ball and kick it around the yard for her, teach her to retrieve a ball, play tug with her. I think finding things is a great mental exercise, so is teaching her new tricks. Do a google search on 'dog tricks'...and you will find some ideas. Teach her to follow a track....again do a google search on "teaching a dog to track"....lots of fun things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most dogs do not play with toys themselves. They usually enjoy chewing alone...so provide some chew toys, or chew items. Fill a Kong with some cream cheese or peanut butter, and stuff the opening with a dog biscuit...it will take her awhile to work out the goodies. You can also provide a nice raw beef marrow bone...just take out most of the marrow the first couple of times you give it to her. The marrow is rich, and may upset her tummy if she has too much. Buy some bully sticks, or dry tracheas, and other animal parts to chew. Dog food puzzles are also a good way to keep her interested and you can feed her some of her meal from it.

Most dogs want you to play with them. Buy a Jolly Ball and kick it around the yard for her, teach her to retrieve a ball, play tug with her. I think finding things is a great mental exercise, so is teaching her new tricks. Do a google search on 'dog tricks'...and you will find some ideas. Teach her to follow a track....again do a google search on "teaching a dog to track"....lots of fun things.
She does have her chew toys, but even that she doesnt chew on them for too long. I only give her the kong when I feed her meals,I am a little sceptical about peanut butter too much cause the dog journal said that it's not good for dogs in the long run. So I only put her meals in the kong. Yes someone did suggest the marrow bone, which I will get thanks! I also give her dog puzzles, but again the moment the treats/kibble is finished she gets away and comes to me for attention.

She gets two training session a day, where I teach her tricks and mostly obedience training, with 2 Play times indoors a day and then one outdoor play time. I just wanted that the times that I am not spending time with her, she is able to entertain on her own, cause I do think she has separation anxiety too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure I’m understanding your intent. Dogs are pack animals while it is good that you play with her ( or attempt to) but what is she interested in?! What unique experiences is she exposed to? Different walks, off leash exposure, other dogs in controlled scenarios….. she comes to you because , I assume you play with her, but you are her pack. Is she exercised well? Well stimulated? Not a big fan of toys for the sake of toys. BBD mentioned playing with her and the toy. How much time do you spend with her? Is it just the two of you? Separation anxiety can lead to poor behavior in the long run. Exercise and quality time will squash anxiety over the long run. How much time in the crate daily?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts