Congratulations, you did it! You made the final decision to welcome a confident, sweet and affectionate Rottweiler into your family. While you are busy preparing your home with dog beds, dishes, toys and other necessities, you will want to begin your search for your new family member immediately. Your goal is to find a responsible Rottweiler breeder that will provide a healthy, happy pup. The following tips will guide you on your journey to locating a reputable Rottweiler dog breeder.
· Ask Around – Do you know a family member, friend or co-worker that has a Rottweiler? Ask around to see if they can recommend a responsible and reputable breeder. Since they had a rewarding experience with a specific breeder, chances are you will also. You can also contact local veterinarian offices or animal hospitals to see if they are able to refer you to a reputable Rottweiler breeder.
· Search Your Community – Due to the popularity of Rottweiler’s, chances are there are responsible breeders in your community or the surrounding area. Make a list of the Rottweiler breeders that you would like to contact.
· Contact the Breeders –Begin contacting the Rottweiler breeders over the telephone or via email. Ask them about their credentials, practices and if or when they will have Rottweiler pups available.
· Visit the Breeders –Bring a notebook along as you visit various Rottweiler breeders in your community. You will want to observe the home or facility the breeder keeps the dogs and pups in during their beginning stages of life. You are looking for cleanliness, proper necessities such as food, water, bedding and toys. If you notice that the breeder has more than two dogs breeding at one time, there is a chance that they might be a puppy mill. If you sense it is a puppy mill please leave immediately.
· Choose a Breeder –Once you locate a breeder that is friendly, knowledgeable about Rottweiler’s and provides good care for the litter, you will want to choose a pup from that breeder. Generally reputable and responsible breeders interview you and make sure you are able to care for the pup properly throughout his or her lifetime. Always answer honest and truthful during the interview. Most responsible Rottweiler breeders will even offer tips about raising your pup.
· Request Health Documentation –Responsible breeders will provide certification from a veterinarian regarding the health of the pup. Usually breeders offer this information upfront.
· Patience is Key –Some responsible Rottweiler breeders will prolong the adoption process to make sure you are a perfect fit for the pup. While this may cause you stress, it is actually a positive characteristic of the breeder. It means they care and this shows they are responsible with the placement of each Rottweiler pup.
Remember to ask the breeder questions regarding the health history of the parents of the pups. If there are genetic health issues, you will want to take note, since the same problems can arise during the lifetime of the Rottweiler pup you choose.
Most responsible breeders will also offer further assistance after you bring your Rottweiler pup home. They will usually offer their phone number or email address to keep in touch and also to answer any questions about proper care for Rottweiler’s to assure you are a good pet parent. Find a responsible Rottweiler breeder today and bring home your new family member!
Photo credit: Doug Pieper/Flickr
~ Community Support