Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Hunter Army Airfeild

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AFpilotsWife 
#1 ·
My husband is active duty Army and we live near Hunter Army Airfeild in Savannah GA. Recently we were informed that families that live in on post housing will either have to move or "get rid of" numerouse breeds of dogs if they own such breeds. Now this does not directly affect our home because we do not live on post. We have a home in the country. But it is breaking my heart how many families and furry children are being torn apart over this. The breeds include but are not limited to the fallowing.

Akita

Boxer

Rottweiler

Stafford Shire Terrior

American Pit Bull

American Bull Dog

Any type of Terrior

Doberman

Saint Bernard

Chow

And these are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Now I understand the concern of having pets in general on post. And they did have a horrific incident in June where a toddler was killed by 3 pit bulls on post. However I beleive that their are many other ways of handling this situation. Tearing apart innocent families and or kicking innocent families and their furry companions off post is entirely too extreme.

Funny thing is...I was called by the housing office last week and they offered me on post housing because they now have a shortage of tenants and too many vacancies. Not to mention they just built brand new housing that is sitting empty now as well. I kindly declined by saying, " no thank you. We bought our home in the country because we have the most sweetest and beautiful furry babies that we could never part with. And we wanted to make sure we would never run into a problem such as what Hunter Army Airfeld residents and families are now having to endure. Good luck".

See less See more
#2 ·
Awwww, this is such a shame and a pity to put all these breeds in the same category, but to my saddness it is that way just about every where. We live in Fl and we have a 13 year old chow and because of her breed we have to pay huge homeowners Ins. They don't care that she is behind a private fence and that she has never bite or out of our yard, it is just because she is a chow....Same of course for my Rottie but we pay it,we don't care. For those who don't have a choice in the matter, my heart breaks for them.

#3 ·
This is taking place in the AirForce as well.

Most AF bases are going "privatized"(think Home Owners Association.. only you have no say..)

Shepperd AFB, TX is already Privatized, and that also don't allow those same breeds as stated above. Vance is supposed to get Privatized here in 2008/2009. Hopefully, we'll already be gone by then. I refuse to give up my Bella.

The people in charge of the "privatizing" are civillians, and the civillians are the ones making the choices. So, it's not exactly the Military, pre se.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.