Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 month old male rottie named Zeus. He has been growing at an exceptional rate the past few months. Im talking 30 pounds in a little over a month. And in the past few weeks he has began to favor his left leg limping and sometimes he will pull his foot up. What are the chances of this being hip dysplacia? I got him from a very good breeder with guarantees on hips and everything. If not hip dysplacia, what else could be causing this? Are there any recomendations of vitamins or anything to help with his muscle bone and joint formation? Any response would be good Im worried about him!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
30 pounds in a month is way too fast at any age. He may be aching because of that. Are you still feeding puppy food ? Puppy food is supposed to help control the rate at which they grow. He may just have hurt something running or jumping or maybe just hurt a pad on a paw. Probably time for as visit to the vet to be sure.

My one female has always walked a little funny. I thought hips for years and come to find out it is arthritis , her hips X-ray just fine. She had a little limp since 4 or 5 months old.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
2bad said:
Puppy food is supposed to help control the rate at which they grow.

puppy food is NOT good for rottweilers ......

your best to stay away from puppy chow ......you may want to give an asprin every morn'n ......my boy gets .... an asprin ... a salmon oil cap .... and a garlic tab every morn'n .....

like he said .... prolly best to go to a vet ( if your that worried ) ......

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did take him to the vet and they couldnt tell really what it was. She listed numerous things that it could be and hip dysplacia was one of them so I thought Id check with some fellow Rottie owners to see what they thought. I do feed him puppy food still. I feed him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. You said 30 pounds in slightly over a month is too much, there is no way to really control the rate that they groe is there?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It could be panno(they call it growing pains).

Take him off of Puppy food and start him on adult if you have not already.

and start him on Vit.C this should help a bit an try the salamon oil.

this are things that should help.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi jcavin, yes take him off the puppy chow ...How much are you feeding him a day ? are you feeding him twice a day ? I give mine a vit. every day I get it from the vet it's Synovi G3soft chews...it's a bit pricey but I don't care !

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
puppy food has too much protein in it,puppys don't need all that.It makes them grow faster,which is bad for their joints.

It is best if puppys are fed adult food.

Donna

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am currently feeding him Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy should I keep him on Eukanuba but switch to the Adult formula, or is there any other recomendations on what is best for them?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Everyone feeds what they feel is right for their dogs.Some dogs do good on the cheeper brands.

I like Canidae for my dogs.

All my puppies leave here with a bag of adult canidae,and this is what I ask them to feed.

Donna

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Response to Kitty. I feed them 3 times daily, and a total of about 5 to 6 cups each oer day. Also what is that vitamin that you told me about. Is it like a multi or is it something that targets something in particular?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
jcavin, it's a multi vitamin. but it also helps their joints and muscles...... You need to start feeding him twice a day not 3 times ..... what did your vet say about the 3 times a day ? I feed Canidea and Nutro Ultra , I mix both together....my pups get fed 2 and a half cups each time . I think maybe your feeding him a bit to much plusfeedingthe puppy chow would put weight on him like that ... I also have a little girl that has problems with her joints and muscles and I give her Glyco-Flex III It's just for that .

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Mel , take him off the puppy food now and buy adult food ...mix what you have with the adult .

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks...
I'll get the adult food this week. She loves the Nutro Ultra so I don't want to change that, I'll just change the formula.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked the difference today in the Adult formula and the puppy and the protein difference depending on the brand was only 2 to 4% does that reallymake a difference?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes if they don't need it,don't give it.

Most large breed breeders will have the puppy on adult before it leave the house at 8 weeks.

Donna

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another thing you guys were saying to only feed them twice a day. What time of day do you recommend and how much should I actually befeeding themat a sitting it seems like the amount on the back of the bag is way too much for them in 1 day?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I feed mine in the morning when they come in from going potty and feed they again just before bed.2 cups twice a day

Donna

1 - 20 of 36 Posts