Rottweilers Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant wait. At 4:00pm today I pick up Diesel from the Vets!!! I adopted him from a kennel were they had him listed as a stray. He seems like such a good dog. His tail is cropped and he is around 80lbs. The Vet said that hes about 20lbs - 25lbs under weight and would put it back on once in a stable home. This will be my fourthdogthat I have owned, first timeRottweiler! I'm looking foward to teaching him sit, stay, come,laydown, and speak. Cant wait, I've been so excitedsince the day I say him. He's a moose.

I'm divorced and have too much free time andDiesel will be great! We'll do everything together.I just bought a bigger 4 door truck and layed the back seat down and have blanketson top of cushonfor him. Even has a little pillow. Its his own area and will be just for him.

I'm not going to be taking him to any teaching school or training class. I dont belive in that stuff, and feel you should be able to train your dog yourself or shouldn't have him. I have had three dogs in the past and have tought them all myself. Theycould walk next to you off leash with out any problems. Would stay, sit, laydown on command. It takes alot of time and paitence, but can be done. I alsobelive by smacking the dog when he's bad. I've read alot of other crap about "time outs" andholding back treats. Thats stupid.If the pup barks, a quick smack in the chops andlots a verbal "NO SPEAK""NO SPEAK" and he'll learn in no time.But thats only when hes bad. Not when teaching him how to sit or stay. Then its all verbal.

I've read posts about dogs that bite people, bark at them orgrowl and they want to know what to do. Just smakc and correct with verbal "NO (whatever)". The dog will defiently learn that if he does (the said thing) he'll get smacked and will quickly stop doing it.You have to stay on top of himso he knowswhos will is stronger. Anyways thats my take on it.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Welcome and thanks for adopting a Rottweiler.

All dogs can be taught at home,but classes are more for socialization.As these are big and potentionaly dangerous dogs.They have a bad rap and I do all I can for people to see the good side of the breed.

Remember you are picking up an adult dog.A good smack might not be a good idea.You have no knowledge of his history and he could bite you.He might have been abused before.Treating and talking nice sometimes is the best method

Donna

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi , welcome aboard.

Yes, THANK YOU for taking a grown up ! I have a couple of older rescues and they are both great dogs ! As Donna said , take it easy at first. You never know what a rescue has been through in the past. Most of the time love is better than smacks with these older dogs. I just have a feeling they know you saved them and they really try hard to please once they get comfortable around you. Good luck with him and you come back here !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Donna and abosolutly correct.

Sometimes though verbal wont cut itbecause the dog things he has you by the collar instead of the other way around. If I correct him and he bites back then its a war of wills andwhos is stronger. My first dog didjust that andhe turned out to be the best trained dog we had. Just takes time.

Diesel is going to be my best friend and companion.I already have much love for him and he's not even home yet. He'll go everewhere with me and I'll give him the best life I can. He'll be like a son to me. So I dont want to get hungup on the discipline aspect of it. Thats only one small part. I have no worrys that Diesel will become a good obedient dog.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres a pic of Diesel.

He is very healthy and topped the charts at 111lbs and will gain another 20lb - 25lb over the next couple months. Hes great! Very well mannered and already knows how to sit. Likes to jump up on my chest and put his paws on my shoulders though. The truck ride was interesting. He didn't stay in the back seat that I had made up for him, instead he climbed up front with me and stuck his head out the window! Very good dog. Everyroom I go into he comes too. I cant even move without him looking up and waiting to see where I go! I love it. Great dog!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Very nice boy.

The following seems to be a Rottie thing.WE have 9 here and when you get up to go any where it's like your own little parade.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi Forklift and Welcome !!

You have a nice looking boy there and sounds like he has found a good home ! I have 3 Rotts here andyes it's like Donna said it's a parade at times
... I myself don't believe it hitting a dog a good NO always has done the trick for me . I have owned Rotts as long as I can remember , they are such a wonderful breed and loyal dog !

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi and welcome

Im sorry I have to say that I agree with the the others, I dont smack my dogs, all my training is geared towards verbal and clicking and its worked for me.

Saying that I am glad that another Rottie is saved from a shelter and am sure that you two will make a great team, if only everyone gave an older dog a chance.

Keep us posted on how you get on!

nadine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.