Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were hiking this morning.

Agis found a big branch (obviously) and after carrying it for a bit, dropped it and got the zoomies and started running full tilt in figure 8s. Agis is fast and strong.

I encourage Agis to body check me when we're playing, so perhaps this is my fault...body checking is one thing, but as hockey fans know, hits to the knee are a big no-no.

I was turned around and heard Toby cry out. Turn around, he's on the ground, moaning (sorta) and clutching his knee. I get worried. Grab Xerxes the Attack Beagle (who stays on leash) from him, leash Agis and Nebuchadnezzar. Agis is super happy. Toby is still on the ground.

Agis had run full bore into the side of Toby's knee. We're pretty sure it was either fully or partially dislocated. It's back in place but feels loose and depending on how Toby moves his knee he can feel it moving around. Luckily we hadn't gone far and Toby could limp back to the car. At home, it's raised, we're icing, ibuprofen and he's got a knee sleeve on it for compression.

What with COVID and it being back in place, we don't really want to go to the ER. Hoping he didn't tear anything.

Toby rides his bike to work (who wants to take transit now) - he may not be able to, so I may be driving him to/from. Parking downtown could get expensive. If it's not better, Agis and I may not be backpacking next weekend as there's still the other two to take in and out.

http://instagr.am/p/CYM6PH5Pdjx/
http://instagr.am/p/CYNIQ3TP2SK/

Registered
Last year I got taken out at the dog park. Lucky there was no damage. I learned to make sure I am checking my space all the time.

Super Moderator
Awww...that Agis! This is a very common thing for dogs to do. Poor Toby...that knee may not be right for awhile. My knees have never been the same because I too have been hit often and taken out at the knees. Now in my old age...I pay for it. Teach Agis "easy"...when he starts getting the zoomies and doing that crazy fun run, that you know may turn into trouble. Happy New Year!!! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@#5moose oh lucky!

@big black dogs I work on 'whoa' with Agis but in a different context, easy is a good call.

Toby went to emerg this morning. Torn LCL they said, he'll need a MRI they thought and a consult with an orthopaedic surgeon to see if he'll need surgery. Oddly they didn't refer him, so he speaks to our GP tomorrow.

He can't bike to work right now. Parking downtown is prohibitive. So I'll likely be changing hours for awhile to drive him to/from. Personally I don't know that he'll be going to work tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds so painful
I hope Toby gets back to full mobility asap. Wish him well
Will do, thanks. He had his booster appointment today at a city-run mass clinic and despite getting there 30 minutes before his appointment didn't get out of there for 1:40. Nuts. He said he will be happy to get off his knee for the evening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts