Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on another site. Worth reading and looking into....





PLEASE PASS ON TO ANY PET OWNERS



Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and
wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving
friends and family. Please tell dog owners you know.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased
Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way
it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their
garden. Their dog Calypso, decided that the mulch smelled good
enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times
which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting
lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out
for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure
and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed o n the label, upon
further investigation on the company? s website, this product is
HIGHLY toxic to dogs.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is
true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa
Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on
each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."


Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply
and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient
called "Theobromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it
really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several
deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 week s. Just ! a word o f
caution ? check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of
what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate ?
especially dark or baker's chocolate ? which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of
theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and
theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch
e from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17
hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao
bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Please email the manufacturer at [email protected] and
request that accurate information about this product be posted on
the packaging to avoid further tragedy.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top