Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting an invisible fence for my pups so in case we have to rent a home without a fence... it would be temporary fix till we either A) get a house with a fence, B) put up a fence, or C) buy our own land. What is your opinion on this subject? I am just checking my options for the big if of not being able to get a fenced in yard when we have to move with the military.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Short answer - NOT recommended. Long answer is the same with facts to back it up ;) Seriously though - I hate invisible fences - doesn't keep dogs out of your yard and if your dog is high drive, won't stop the dog from bolting right through the fence to chase something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think e-fences are only a good idea for owners who have responsive, well-trained dogs and should only be counted on when the owners are in the yard. An e-fence will not do a real fence's job. If you leave your house, I would never leave my dog in an area that is marked off by only an e-fence. High drive dogs can also endure the pain/ignore the pain until they get across the fence. Then when the aggression/agitation/focus/excitement/whatever it was that drove them across the fence in the first place, wears off, they will essentially be locked out of your yard.

While I'm not entirely against it, it should be used with caution and definitely not as a fence substitute.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your opinions and it was just a consideration. Doubt I would ever leave the boys unattended outside anyways more for my sanity and I'm a total worrywart. would have been more for them to play together and go potty since they are more inside dogs anyways.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a 3/4 acre yard, with about 1/2 fence behind the house for the dogs. They are ONLY outside with me or someone else supervising - and they are never out together as they do not get along. They don't spend much time out side in the morning as we all prefer to sleep versus get up early and exercise <lol>. Once I get home, they potty in the yard play for a bit. Weekends are spent walking local trails (again, individually so *I* get the most exercise!) and/or playing in the yard, or even just doing nothing outside while I relax and read or putz around in the garden...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
hey RMCT, maybe cesar millan can help with your two dogs not getting along.

ahaha... sorry... just being a jerk. i know that you hate him. :)

my opinion on E fences is similar to what everyone else here thinks. they can be fun for humans though. there are some funny vids on youtube of people tricking their friends into going though them with the sensor secretely planted on their body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts