Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to this site and looking for some help/advice. We have a beautiful Rottie girl called Ruby who is coming up to 6 months old in a week. For the past 2-3 days she’s been whining, dribbling, licking herself, on and off her food, wanting to go out in the garden for a wee more and keeps digging a lot as well outside. She’s extremely cuddly at the moment and has even been sick once or twice but I’m not sure whether that’s from the digging in the garden (I have thoroughly checked the garden and there’s nothing bad down on the grass). After searching for hours online the only thing that keeps popping up that sounds similar is her going in to her first heat. Has anyone had a similar experience with their girl? We’ve had Rotties before but always rescued them as they’ve been older so having a Rottie pup is quite new to me still. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

· Administrator
2,049 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! At 6 months it sounds like she is still a bit young to be having her first heat. Usually you can see swelling of their vulva first. Is she swollen? To me it sounds like she may have a UTI (urinary tract infection). They are very common for puppies to have. I would take her into the vet to be seen. They are painful and uncomfortable and can turn into something worse if you don't get it looked after.

Heats usually start with swelling and if you take a tissue and give them a wipe you will notice light blood...which usually gets darker and heavier through their heat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts